[RESOLVED]Impossible to click on the + button in desktop Mac client

hugostephan
hugostephan
Community Member
edited August 2016 in Mac

[RESOLUTION]
I've found a workaround : go to the HELP menu then > TROUBLESHOOTING then > RESET (in french it's "recommencer à zero") then > enter the code to reset any preset, to have a fresh and functioning client. Nice feature BTW.

Hello, I've just purchased a Families plan. I'm trying to setup the desktop app on the MacBook Air of my mother.
When installed and first opened, I didn't get any pop-up about connecting an account.
I've tried my mother master password, nothing. Then mine, nothing,...
FYI we are both "organizers".

So I went for the settings > account and tried to click on the + button, but i doesn't work. (It's inactive gray)

Not quite the impression i wanted to make to my mother...
So we're blocked and we can't start to use your app.

Hopefully I've missed a step ?

Thanks,

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 0SX 10.11.15
Sync Type: Not setup yet
Referrer: forum-search:can't connect to mac app

Comments

• hugostephan
    hugostephan
    Community Member

Hello, more precision to add : 1 / The iOS app is working on my mother's Iphone, the account is connected. 2/ The desktop Mac app on my own computer is working, the account is connected. Only my mother's desktop Mac app is not working.

• hugostephan
    hugostephan
    Community Member

Here's a screenshot of what I'm getting when trying to connect the account. You see that the + icon is gray and not clickable.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hugostephan,

I'm sorry you ran into some difficulty trying to set up 1Password with your Families account! Fortunately it sounds like you were able to get it all working as expected:

[RESOLUTION]
    I've found a workaround : go to the HELP menu then > TROUBLESHOOTING then > RESET (in french it's "recommencer à zero") then > enter the code to reset any preset, to have a fresh and functioning client. Nice feature BTW.

My best guess about what happened is that 1Password had previously been installed/set up on that Mac, which would explain why opening the app only showed you the regular lock screen (i.e. where it asks you to enter a master password) instead of the first-run / setup screens that you were expecting.

If the 1Password app has already been set up but is locked (which appears to be the case in your screenshot), it's possible to open the Preferences window, but many of the settings there will be grayed out / unavailable until you unlock it with the master password. That would explain why you weren't able to click on + button.

The option to start over / reset 1Password removes any current data from the app so you can set it up again as if it's the first time you've ever used 1Password on that computer. At that point you were able to sign into your Families account.

Hopefully that helps to explain what happened. If you have more questions or need any help with 1Password, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.