Cannot force primary logins to top of list

Mark A Talbot
Mark A Talbot
Community Member

I am a Joomla Webmaster, and require numerous logins and password management thereof for each site our company manages. Each domain has at least 1 SuperAdmin, and several lower "ranking" admins and testers, each for whom I do password management. I have changed each SuperAdmin login to have a prefix of 1*_(insert SuperAdmin Name) in order to "force" this login to the top of the list. For some sites, this works fine. For others, however, it does not, and this annoying undocumented feature seems to have crept in with 1PW v6. I have included a screen capture video URL here that should explain further.
screencast.com/t/Jdp0uG6si4D
Does renaming with prefix really force to the top, and can 1PW be set to show a pre-determined number of logins by default to avoid all the extra clicking?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mark A Talbot,

I'm sorry you're running into some trouble getting matching Login items to appear the way you want/expect! Thank you very much for the video, as well as the clear captions you included in it - being to see exactly what's happening on your end is extremely helpful for us!

I think I understand what might be happening, and my guess is that the URL in the Login items you want to use have a different subdomain than the site you're currently viewing. When you open 1Password mini, it will first suggest Login items with the same domain and the same subdomain as the website you're viewing. Login items with the same domain but a different subdomain will be shown under the 'Show n more items' option.

For example, if you go to https://calendar.google.com, 1Password mini will first show you Login items that have https://calendar.google.com as the website. Login items with a different Google subdomain such as https://accounts.google.com or https://plus.google.com will be hidden behind 'Show n more items'. If you compare the website fields of the Logins to the website you're viewing, does that seem to be what's happening?

If so, there's a setting to change this behavior. In the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar and select the Browsers tab. Enable the option for 'Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites'. Now go back to the website and open 1Password mini again. This time, it will show matches based only on the domain and ignore the subdomain. Favorites will be listed at the top, and the rest will be in alphabetical order by title.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Thanks! :)

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member

Hello Drew - that solved it! Although, if you look at the domain names in the video, each has a very distinct and separate top-level url, no subdomains, so I'm not sure what was causing the issue...but by changing this preference, it is fixed.
    I DO have several subdomains that I use for development purposes, and there the problem has been solved as well.
    Thanks very much for your thorough response! I remain a huge fan of 1 Password - it is in my top 5 must-have utilities.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mark A Talbot,

I’m so glad to hear that Drew’s reply helped!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member

Thanks to you both, @Megan and @Drew_AG " Your product is absolutely amazing. I will certainly reach-out should anything else arise. I look forward to working together to continue to make it the greatest PW manager out there.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mark A Talbot,

Have a great day, Mark and thanks for the kind words!

This discussion has been closed.