Switching between website and Vault screen in 1password browser

Options
AWRD
AWRD
Community Member

I have recently moved from the iOS app to Android (on Samsung). In iOS I could easily switch backwards and forwards between websites I had opened from a Vault screen (eg Amazon) and the Vault screen (eg the Amazon password entry).

But I have no idea how to do that in Android. Having launched a website and logged in from my 1Password page, there is no icon in the browser view (eg of the Amazon website pages) to get back to the page I launched from (if, for example, I want to refer to notes stored on that Vault page).

The only way I seem to be able to get back to the Vaukt page is to use the phone'so back button but that loses what I ahve done on the target site and that can't be right. What am I missing?

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @AWRD. I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're describing. Are you visiting a site within the 1Browser? In other words, are you launching 1Password, tapping on a Login item, and then tapping on the URL saved with that item so that it opens up in 1Password's built-in browser? Or are you using Chrome or another third-party browser and having trouble switching back and forth from the app?

One thing that might interest you is that we're supporting Android N's multi-window mode in our latest beta. This means that you can have more than one window open at a time, which should make it easier to switch back and forth from your browser to the 1Password app. If you're using the Android N beta, please sign up for our beta newsletter in order to test it out if you like.

• AWRD
    AWRD
    Community Member
    Options

The former is the use case I am struggling with, ie I am tapping on the URL stored in the LogIn item, it opens up the built-in browser, I login to that site and navigate around but can't then get back to the LogIn Item for additional info I have stored there (eg notes). In IOS I can use the "DONE" link on the built-in browser title and the globe on the LogIn item screen to switch back and forth. But neither of those features appear in the Android app. It's not clear to me why not. That is key functionality for me. Without it, the built-in browser is significantly less useful.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the info, @AWRD. I will forward your feedback to our developers.

In the meantime, I wonder if multi-window mode may help your situation. What version of Android are you currently using, and are you likely to update to 7.0 (Nougat) when it's available?

• AWRD
    AWRD
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on Marshmallow and will keep upgrading as Samsung allows. I already have Samsung multi-window but I don't think 1Password supports it. That said, I'm still unclear why such a key feature of the IOS version isn't a similarly core part of the Android app

• peri
    Options

Thanks for letting me know, @AWRD. Hopefully Samsung devices will get the 7.0 update soon!

I'll forward your feedback to our devs regarding the built-in 1Browser. In the meantime, I recommend enabling the 1Password keyboard and accessibility service for filling, so that you can fill in Chrome (or another third-party browser). It will make filling easier. It also may be easier to switch between 1Password and Chrome for other activities, such as Login creation.

• ChaconC
    ChaconC
    Community Member
    Options

@peri
    Having recently done the same switch, I can confirm what AWRD is experiencing.

On iOS there's a draggable button and a "Done" button to switch between 1Browser and 1Password. On Android, if you open the browser there's no button to go back.

You can press the Back key on the phone's navigation bar to go back to the app, but this button is not available on iOS so we don't immediately think to use it but rather look for a button on screen.

• peri
    Options

Good point about the back button on Android @ChaconC! Thanks for confirming the issue here. I'll pass your feedback along to the team as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.