Adding Current Account to New Computer

TrafficSoup
TrafficSoup
Community Member

Good evening,

I have tried to follow all of the articles , youtube videos etc but have been unable to successfully move my account from my old macbook pro to my new one.

My Old MacBook Pro
Mac OSX 10.6.8
I have had 1Password for many years
I have a license key

My New Macbook Pro
El Capitan

I downloaded 1Password

I moved a backup .zip from old Macbook to new Macbook & attempted to restore from backup. The new laptop does no recognize the backup .zip file. It is "greyed" out and cannot be selected.

I signed up for an account on the old Macbook at my.1password.com but there is nowhere to add my extisting account / license. And it wants me to pay a monthly fee and assigned me a new Account Key? I already have a key... why did it give me a new one?

Lastly, I tried to simply click on the 1Password icon on the new Macbook hoping it would allow me to simply put in the Key I have had for years plus my master password but it asks for:

Sign In Address
Account Key
Email Address
Master Password

I have everything except the "Sign In Address" ... I have zero idea what that means. Aside from the brand new account I set up tonight online and this forum , I have never had a "sign in address"

So ... I'm stuck. I have probably 7-8 years worth of logins across 1200+ accounts that are seemingly locked into a computer I will no longer be using. I really need to move these over to the new Macbook.

Please help.

Thanks
Chris

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @TrafficSoup , Sorry to hear that you are having problems signing in to your 1Password Account. The Sign In Address had me confused for a short while too, when I first went to see what an account can do. However, it is quite simply the address that you quoted:

my.1password.com

Your 1200+ passwords are quite safe and you can easily copy or move them to your new account once you are logged in.

I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to return to this thread if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Hi @TrafficSoup,

That's quite the leap from 10.6.8 to 10.11! This probably means you were using 1Password 3 on your old Mac and 1Password 6 on the new one?

What you had previously was a license for 1Password, all your data was located on only your machines. 1Password Accounts are something new we started offering within the past year, where that data additionally is stored in its completely encrypted form on Agilebits' servers, those accounts are subscription based and include full functionality with all of the 1Password client applications (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) at no extra cost.

So what you currently possess is a license key, which is used to unlock a particular version of the client app and not an account key which is used to authenticate you and allow you to login to your subscription account.

I believe you're going to probably have to make use of an agilekeychain backup in order to move your data into the new version of 1Password on your new mac as I believe the backup zip format isn't the same between those two versions of 1Password. If you follow the instructions here it should hopefully give you something you can import into 1Password 6.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.