I can't see any information or pricing for the licence option rather than the subscription option

juliewareing
juliewareing
Community Member

I received a sales email this morning and am interested in using 1password but I would like to be able to compare the cost of subscribing with paying for a one off license which appears to be an option. But there is no information on the website about the license option.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I can't see any information or pricing for the licence option rather than the subscription option

Comments

• Hi @ik8sqi,

I want to assure you we have absolutely no plans of getting rid of licensing, and we have absolutely no plans to "cripple" or let the non-subscription side of 1Password languish. We have plenty of upcoming features planned for both types of customers.

Our decision to offer subscriptions was based on customer demand. We've been asked by customers for years to make a version for businesses that allows multiple users, access control, easy sync setup, item sharing, etc. Implementing these features requires us to run our own servers which carry an ongoing cost - a subscription model makes sense there since we have ongoing costs to provide service. And when we announced 1Password for Teams to satisfy this demand, some of our customers noted that it would be great for their families as well. This brought on 1Password for Families. And well, you can guess what happened next. 1Password for individual customers came next.

But if you prefer to license your software we are happy to offer it to you and will be here to support you and improve the product for you.

The reason you don't see licenses front and center right now is because we want to tell our customers about our new subscription service in a way that does not cause confusion. We're working on improving the site and figuring out the best way to allow customers to see their options and compare the two.

FYI @juliewareing , please use the link https://agilebits.com/store for purchasing a license.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, please feel to reply. We'll be here for you.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Hi again ik8sqi ,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We think you'll be pleasantly surprised in the future.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    edited August 2016

My experience with AgileBits is at less than a year (though I've heard rave reviews for years previously), but pretty much everything I've seen indicates a lack of greed essentially unparalleled in the industry (security or otherwise). No one can predict the future but I feel pretty comfortable with my choice. I own 1Password apps directly and I also pay for a subscription; the way they've implemented the subscription accounts with extreme care makes security quite good, though of course there is always some additional risk with data being stored elsewhere. However, they are spending tremendous effort to think about and design in security (more than you can say for most software companies), and they respond incredibly quickly to security problems, and that's about all you can ask for with software.

If they were to sell out, owning the software wouldn't be that useful for long anyway. As soon as security holes aren't being proactively found and fixed, and upgrades for new operating systems provided, the security of your information in the software will start to go down over time if updates are not made. You have a grace period of course because the software is already so good, but it would make sense to find another supported solution if 1Password stops being developed. Just like when TrueCrypt stopped development (they're open sourced so not an entirely fair comparison) it made sense to stop using that software (even if you switch to a forked version that is maintained) because new security holes are found over time and not fixed, the same would apply here.

AgileBits has both shown it's been around for the existing long haul and shows no intention or signs of going away (another reason it's worth paying more than to others who may not be able to fund themselves long term or do proper security vetting), so I'm quite happy to stick with them. Your analysis may be different (or the same) and you can draw your own conclusions, and maybe "owning" the app (or a license for it) feels better (hey, I love owning mine too even with the subscription!), which is hard to argue with, but they seem more believable than most companies when they say they don't intend to eliminate the non-subscription version, based on their history (vs. say, a competitor who said they'd always have a remote control product available for free, then dropped the free option, raised prices astronomically, and then bought AgileBits' largest competitor to get into the password management market--which I promptly left for AgileBits after 5 years with the other vendor, and have taken high four-digits of remote control subscription business away from that vendor as well at work :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dszp,

Wow, thanks for that excellent post! :)

This discussion has been closed.