Suggestion: Make password recipe editable in the Settings screen

Options
hamishmcn
hamishmcn
Community Member

Thanks for the great app. I have a minor suggestion to improve its usability:
Recently I wanted to change the password recipe and spent ages trying to figure out where it was located, I looked over every option in the settings screen many times, and did multiple Google searches like "how to change ios 1password password recipe" without success.
Sometime after giving up it occurred to me that I needed to make a dummy entry in the logins screen and then click "Generate Password" then "Show Password Recipe" and then I could change it.
Obvious in retrospect, but if feels quite clunky - it feels like the sort of thing I should have been able to do from the Setting screen.
If you could please add it there you might save someone from the same frustration, and who knows how many other people have tried and then just given up.
Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jobead
    jobead
    Community Member
    Options

Emphatically second this suggestion. Password Recipe needs much improvement across all platforms.

1) Password recipe needs to have a consistent user experience across platforms. Diceware on/off, Symbol/Number control...these things have no continuity b/w mac/ios/windows.

2) Need an option to have different recipe settings per site. For sites that still have terribly restrictive options (like no symbols, short character length restrictions, etc.), 1p should remember my settings just for that site. If you have watchtower on, these settings should automatically be made available.

3) Recipe options should definitely sync using my vault, again so I have a consistent experience across platforms.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

@hamishmcn, as you’ve noted, once you make changes to the password recipe, those settings will carry over to other items that you need to generate a fresh password for. Personally, I’m not sure I see the use for a separate item in Settings for this - the only time I think about password recipes is when I need to update an item, and in that case, the password recipe is right where I need it to be, within the item.

Could you tell me a bit more about why you see this as something that should be set independent of the items themselves?

@jobead, I’ll be sure to pass those ideas along to our team - we’ve heard the request to set unique recipes for each site before. :)

• hamishmcn
    hamishmcn
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan - I guess it relates to my workflow / how I think. When I call up 1Password I am usually in the middle of doing a transaction, for example making a purchase, and that is the one thing I want to do. Calling up 1Password is an interruption to that but one I am willing to do because of the obvious benefits. To then start contemplating making changes to the password recipe would be, for me, going off on a tangent when all I want to do is to finish creating the account on the website in order to be able to do the transaction that started all this.
    I found myself, a few times, making a mental note to go back later and improve the strength of my password recipe. Eventually I did go back to the app and tried to find where to change the recipe but couldn't locate where to do it. It seems a bit silly given that eventually I remembered it was on the screen where a login gets created, but I guess I had a "siloed" approach to using the app: (a) use it to create a login, (b) use it to adjust settings/configuration, and it took me a long time when in mental mode "b" to realise I needed to create a dummy login (which I then deleted) in order to just change the recipe.
    I hope this helps explain my thinking, I suspect it is just one of those things that different types of people do differently (multitaskers v singletaskers?). Thanks for your quick response,
    Hamish

• Ben
    Options

I see. That makes sense. :) Thanks for the feedback! I'd be happy to pass it along to the rest of our team.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.