Phantom password change

vad413
vad413
Community Member

I love this application, been using it for years without any issues. But today (8/19/16) I noticed something strange with one of my logins. I went to login to one of my accounts on my Mac it stated that my username and/or password are incorrect. When I opened the login in 1Password on my iPhone to look at the password I noticed that in previous passwords (great feature) it had a previous password dated "Yesterday" (8/18/16). I did not change the password and I did not even access 1Password on 8/17/16. The current password was incorrect and something that I would never use, just 6 numbers. Luckily I was able to retrieve my password from yesterday and login to my account.
Any ideas on what would cause a password to update on it's own?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vad413: First of all, I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. It's definitely an odd thing you're experiencing. There are really only three ways that a password (or any information) stored in your vault can be changed:

1. You manually edit it in the main 1Password app
    2. You save the login using the browser extension
    3. You do one of these on another device and it syncs over

Another possibility is that the data was modified or damaged by something else, but it isn't really possible to confirm. But one thing to keep in mind is that if you use 1Password to change a password of a Login item, the old one will be saved in its password history.

Can you tell me all the OS, 1Password, device versions, and sync method you're using? I'm glad to hear that you were able to revert to your correct password. I'm not sure that we'll be able to determine what's happened, but we can certainly try. Thanks in advance! :)

• vad413
    vad413
    Community Member

Thank you for getting back to me and no problem with the delay in response. I have 1Password on 3 devices, Mac Mini Mac OS 10.11.6, iPhone iOS 9.3.4, iPad Air II iOS 9.3.4. I use iCloud to sync my devices. On the day that this login was modified I did not modify or save any other passwords and the password that was saved was a random 6 digit number. The numbers mean nothing to me, meaning I don't recognize the sequence. I did do a mass password change to several logins on the 11th and 12th of August but nothing on the 17th.
    Like I stated I was able to recover my password thanks to the previous passwords feature so this wasn't a big deal. I was just curious on what happened. If you need any other information please let me know.
    Thank you!!!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@vad413,

Thanks for that additional information.

It may be impossible to know what happened with any certainty, but as Brenty mentioned, there are only a few ways the data could possibly get modified. Since everything is encrypted, nothing and no one could alter the data without your Master Password.

Could you open the password generator in 1Password and see if the last used settings would generate a password like the one in that item? I wonder if it was an errant click or two that was accidentally saved. Another possibility could be accidentally hitting a few keys on the keyboard. It seems like it would be pretty hard to do, but I'm struggling to think of another explanation that fits.

The most important thing to do is keep an eye on it and let us know immediately if it happens to another item.

• vad413
    vad413
    Community Member

Thanks for the response, I'll keep an eye my other logins and see if it happens again. This never happened before and I never had any issues using 1Password and I have been using it for a long time.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@vad413,

It would certainly perplex me if the same thing happened to me. Most importantly, I want to make sure you know we are not dismissing this issue. We take data integrity very seriously! It's just really hard (if not impossible) to determine the exact cause with the information we have so far.

So a huge thank you for your longtime support of 1Password. I hope we have some trust built up from years of successful usage of the app. This is the only report we've seen of anything like this so far, so it may just be a one-time fluke. But if you see anything else unusual, don't hesitate to let us know! :+1:

(I presume you would have mentioned if anyone else knew your Master Password and thus had access to your data.)

• vad413
    vad413
    Community Member

No one has my new master password, I changed it the week before. My family members all use 1Password on their devices. They knew my previous master password but this happened after I changed it and they don't know my new password.
    Thanks again for your support and for a great application.

• @vad413 Very good to know. Let us know if you see anything else like this in the future. And on behalf of Khad, you're welcome. We're happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.