The app on mac osx won't take all the words and spaces? Can login to 1password.com and on my iOS.

0321recon
0321recon
Community Member

I have been able to log in on my phone iPhone 6sPlus, used the code to help. I can log into 1password.com, but when I try to log into the mac application or the login startup item the space for the password won't take the 4 words and spaces, it stops at the end of the overall space?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:I can log in on iOS, and 1password.com, but not on the 1password app as a mac osx login item.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @0321recon,

I sincerely apologize for the confusion here! You should be able to continue typing your password even if it is longer than the space provided. Are you getting an ‘incorrect password’ message when you try this?

• 0321recon
    0321recon
    Community Member

Yes, I do get an incorrect pw message but only in the app or upper bar login item (mini), not in phone or webpage. Try very hard to get it right. Thank you for replying.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @0321recon,

Just to make sure I understand, are you having trouble when adding your account info to the 1Password app on your Mac? In other words, are you stuck on the screen that asks for your Sign-In Address, Account Key, Email Address, and Master Password?

Or were you able to add the account to the app, but now you can't unlock the app when you launch it?

If you added your account to the 1Password app successfully, but now you can't unlock the app because it rejects your master password, can you please confirm you're typing your entire master password? Or do you stop typing it when you reach the end of the master password field? The reason I ask is because the master password field is a secure input field, which means you will only see black dots instead of the actual characters you type. As a result, when you get to the end of that field, it looks like it won't accept any more characters - there's no visual indication that anything happens when you type more characters on your keyboard, so it looks like they aren't entered.

However, despite the way it looks, it really is accepting all of the characters you type. What might help is if you try unlocking 1Password again, but this time, don't look at the screen while typing. Just look down at your keyboard the entire time you type your master password. Once you type the whole thing, press Return/Enter. Now look up at the screen - does 1Password unlock? (Assuming you typed your master password correctly, it should.)

If that still doesn't work, had you previously used the 1Password app on your Mac before you signed up for an account?

• 0321recon
    0321recon
    Community Member

Thanks, no, not stuck on sign on screen that asks for sign in address, key, email address and Master Password. That works fine, what I am calling signing into the website through Chrome or Safari. My trouble is at the Master Password block for the mac os app and the mini in my upper log in bar. I can see that when I type my four words with spaces that the input stops at the end of available white space, unlike on the phone and web page. When I type the MP with spaces I see it stop taking input, but finish and hit enter, it shakes then red, then incorrect. Just signed in successfully on the web page again, but no joy on the app.

• 0321recon
    0321recon
    Community Member

To your other point, maybe I did have a previous application, but I've tried to uninstall using an uninstaller.

• 0321recon
    0321recon
    Community Member

It looks like I have a previous password somewhere in my mac os that I can't clear. Like I mentioned my new password works fine on the phone and the website. Ideas on clearing the old password? I've uninstalled the program 3 times now using CleanMyMac3, but I see it wants to prompt me for an old password when using the mac os app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @0321recon,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details!

It looks like I have a previous password somewhere in my mac os that I can't clear. Like I mentioned my new password works fine on the phone and the website.

So, the issue here is not so much that 1Password isn’t reading the full password that you type, it’s that you have changed your Master Password but the Mac app seems to be finding old data.

I've uninstalled the program 3 times now using CleanMyMac3

Please note that we generally don’t recommend using any app cleaners like CleanMyMac or App Zapper when reinstalling 1Password. These apps can get overzealous and attempt to delete your datafile in addition to the app itself. Depending on how you sync 1Password, this could be problematic. If you’re ever advised to reinstall the app, simply dragging the app from your Applications folder to the Trash and downloading a fresh copy will be sufficient.

Now, I’d like to take a step back here and make sure that we’re on the same page.

1. Were you using 1Password on your Mac prior to setting up your 1Password account?
    2. If so, did you go through the process of removing your primary vault after signing into 1Password with your account? (If not, 1Password might still be unlocking to the Master Password of your primary vault instead of your 1Password account.)
    3. Are you able to unlock 1Password using the Master Password for the primary vault?
This discussion has been closed.