Confused over current 1PW 6.4.4 and New Service

Options
paula_m
paula_m
Community Member
edited August 2016 in iOS

I am still confused about this new service change. I bought my 1PW from the Apple Store and have kept up with the upgrades. So I understand that what I have is not a license. But I do have a Master Key.
So what do I do? What do I have?
So I can keep current Apple Store version (and do minor upgrades) or subscribe?
Also, in IOS, do we have to copy over each password entry separately if we go to subscribe?
I have many Passwords and it will be difficult to do each separately. Please help!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paula_m,

I apologize for the confusion! The short answer for existing users is that, if 1Password is working well for you now, there’s no need to change anything. You can continue to receive updates for the app and sync 1Password as you always have.

The longer version is that there are now two different ways to purchase and use 1Password:

Standalone licenses

• You can purchase a license for 1Password to use on your desktops via the AgileBits Store.
    • This license is good for the current version of 1Password and includes all in-version updates. (The mobile Pro features are a separate purchase).
    • With the standalone licenses you can control where your data is stored: your data never leaves your computer unless you choose to sync using a third-party service like Dropbox, iCloud, or Wi-Fi.

1Password accounts

• Sign up for an account at 1Password.com, or take advantage of 1Password Families or 1Password for Teams to share data among your family or team.
    • Your subscription fee includes all of the 1Password apps, and all updates and upgrades are included as long as your account is active.
    • With the subscription service, sync is handled by the server, so there’s no need to set up third-party sync: your data is available to you on any device simply by signing into your 1Password account in the app.
    • Web access to your database (and some other pretty great features) are also included.

What do I have?

If you purchased 1Password from the App Store, you have a standalone license.

So I can keep current Apple Store version (and do minor upgrades) or subscribe?

That is correct. If you would like to take a look at what the subscription has to offer, we’re currently offering a free 6 month trial of the service. It’s a pretty sweet deal, and will give you a good opportunity to explore the features without having to make a purchase decision just yet.

Also, in IOS, do we have to copy over each password entry separately if we go to subscribe? I have many Passwords and it will be difficult to do each separately.

At this time, there is no way to copy multiple items between vaults on iOS. We’re working on improving this, but I can’t promise a timeline. If you have access to a desktop computer, we can get the switch done a fair bit more efficiently though! (Just let us know if you decide to go with a subscription and we can give you the steps.)

Does this help? If you have any more questions about either the standalone licenses or our new accounts, please don’t hesitate to ask!

• paula_m
    paula_m
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Megan. This helps a lot but just to further clarify. So I have a Standalone license since I bought my 1PW for $49 at the Apple Store (March 2016)
    But I already have an account with you as well as a Family one although I use as an individual only. I am able to sync across all IOS devices now. I mainly use my iPad and iPhone but I have a MAC Book Pro. You said I can leave as is since all is working fine.
    But will I be able to get new Version updates?
    Question: since I already have an account and if I switch to the subscription service, do I need to do anything regarding my password entries? I only have one vault (Primary) Why would I have to copy over anything since I already have an account and am using Version 6.4.4. ?

I apologize for all the questions and confusion. And I appreciate your prompt response. I really enjoy 1PW and all that you do to bring us such a great service.

• paula_m
    paula_m
    Community Member
    Options

Correction: Bought 1PW at Apple Store March 2015

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paula_m,

No need to apologize about the confusion - this has been a pretty big change to how things work with 1Password, and we’re happy to work with you until it all makes perfect sense. :)

So I have a Standalone license since I bought my 1PW for $49 at the Apple Store (March 2015)

Yes. That license will be for 1Password 6 for Mac. You will receive all in-version updates for 1Password 6 (6.1, 6.2, 6.3.2, ...)

But I already have an account with you as well as a Family one although I use as an individual only.

I took a look in our back office records using the email address that it is your forum profile. I see that you do indeed have a 1Password Families account linked to that email address, but it’s currently frozen (inactive). That account will need to be made active (by adding a credit card and selecting a monthly or yearly payment option) in order to take advantage of the account features. If you decide that you like the features available with the 1Password accounts but don’t need all of the flexibility that the Families account provides, we could help you switch from a Families account to our new accounts for individuals. Just send an email in to support@1password.com for details.

I am able to sync across all IOS devices now. I mainly use my iPad and iPhone but I have a MAC Book Pro. You said I can leave as is since all is working fine.

If you’re currently only syncing across your iOS devices, we can help you get set up to sync to 1Password on your Mac as well. Just let us know if you’re using Dropbox or iCloud and we can give you instructions. :)

But will I be able to get new Version updates?

With the 1Password account, all updates and upgrades are included for as long as your subscription is active. This means, in addition to the in-version updates that I mentioned above (which are included in your standalone license), if you chose to activate your account and switch to the subscription model, you would also have access to a major version upgrade when it becomes available. (For example, the next ‘major version upgrade’ to 1Password would be version 7. I have no details on when that will be available, but it will be free for all active subscription holders.)

since I already have an account and if I switch to the subscription service, do I need to do anything regarding my password entries? I only have one vault (Primary) Why would I have to copy over anything

If you decide to switch to the 1Password account, you’ll probably want to move your passwords from your primary vault into your 1Password accounts vaults. Don’t worry, this is a pretty simple process and we can walk you through it.

• paula_m
    paula_m
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I hope our discussion is helping others to better understand the new service.

Forgot to mention that I am syncing 1PW with the MAC using iCloud.
    One last thing and where I am still unclear: is my email address account with 1PW different than the 1PW account you are talking about? I thought that since all my entries and syncing are working that by signing up for an individual account nothing would need to be done. I think you are saying that we have to "reset" everything back up with a new account email or do I use my current login email to AgileBits? If so, then I will contact Support as you suggested.

Thank you again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paula_m,

I thought that since all my entries and syncing are working that by signing up for an individual account nothing would need to be done.

Your entries are currently syncing via iCloud. If you would like to change to an individual account we will need to do a bit of a migration to move your entries from the standalone vaults (which sync using Dropbox or iCloud) to the 1Password accounts vaults (which will sync via our servers).

I think you are saying that we have to "reset" everything back up with a new account email or do I use my current login email to AgileBits?

The only reason I suggested an individual account over a Families account was that you mentioned you were using a Families account but only as an individual. The individual account will be a bit cheaper ($2.99/month billed annually as opposed to $4.99/month billed annually). If you would like to continue with the account that you’ve already set up, there’s no need to reset anything. Just sign in to the website, add your credit card to get your account un-frozen, and we can start talking about how to migrate your data into the 1Password accounts vaults.

This discussion has been closed.