Mac App showing incorrect TOTP values (correct on iPhone with same secret code)

XIII
XIII
Community Member

I just updated the 2FA secret code for Slack on my iPhone (scanned the QR code) and let that sync to the Mac via your proprietary sync (1Password for Families). When I edit the secret code on the Mac I see that it has indeed been synced correctly. However, the iPhone and the Mac show different TOTP values for this entry!

I checked using Duo Mobile on my iPhone (which also captured the QR code); the iPhone shows the correct TOTP values, while the Mac does not...

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.2 (632001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: -
OS Version: OS X El Capitan
Sync Type: 1Password for Families

Comments

• Hi @XIII ,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've checked my own Slack login and it seems fine. Can you check the TOTP value for your Slack item. Edit the item and look at the value in the TOTP field. Is it just a code or a full otpauth URL? Does the URL match with the one on your iPhone?

The other thing to check is clock drift. If you were looking at a minute boundary, it could be one changed to the next value before the other - my iPhone and Mac were a second apart and it took me by surprise when I first checked it, as it was on a minute boundary.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Bingo! Clock drift...

It turns out there was a > 1 minute time difference between my Mac and my iPhone... 
    (also explains why all the Apps on the iPhone gave the same TOTP value)

Thanks! (would never have thought about that myself)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @XIII,

I’m so glad to hear that Kevin was able to help you get things straightened out. If you’ve got more questions, you know where to find us. ;)

This discussion has been closed.