how do i remove access to my primary vault from one users computer?

paulrepar
paulrepar
Community Member

I have a licensed version and using vaults for 3 users. one user I installed and set up with their vault no problem but another user when installed forces me to login with my primary vault. it has their vault as well but to get to in they need to login to the primary which I don't want to give access to. i tried deleting the program and re-installing but cannot seem to get around this. I use dropbox to sync.. should i move my primary database out of the dropbox file that the other user has access to?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:how to remove access to one users vault?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulrepar,

We’ll need to reset 1Password on this particular user account in order to set it up fresh with the second user’s own vault as the ‘primary’. Is the second user’s vault currently synced to Dropbox or stored anywhere other than inside 1Password?

should i move my primary database out of the dropbox file that the other user has access to?

If this user doesn’t need to access your 1Password database, then there’s no need for it to be in a shared folder. But moving your datafile will require you to reset sync on all devices that are currently accessing that vault, so let’s not worry about that just yet.

• paulrepar
    paulrepar
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply.. the user in question's vault is synced to Dropbox.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @paulrepar!

As long as that user has a copy of their vault in Dropbox, what you can do is reset the 1Password app on that user's Mac, then set it up with that user's own vault as Primary. It's pretty easy, and you can follow these steps:

1. On that user's Mac, open the main 1Password app.
    2. If 1Password is unlocked, lock the app by clicking the padlock in the upper right corner.
    3. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the on-screen instructions.
    4. The next time 1Password 6 is launched, it should be like running it for the first time - during the setup, choose that user's vault from Dropbox.

Now that user's vault will be the Primary vault, and 1Password will ask for that vault's master password to unlock the app.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that or if you have any questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.