MacOS Sierra 1Password not accepting master password - 10.12 Beta (16A304a)

steve_k
steve_k
Community Member

All, I have just installed 1password on my Mac but it will not accept my master password, it does work on my older Macs and my iPhone running 10.0 (14A5345a), is this a known issues with version 6 and its just not ready on Sierra yet?

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: Version 6.3.2 (632001)
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @steve_k,

We haven't seen any issues with inputting or recognizing master passwords on Sierra. We'd certainly be interested in finding out how you got to this point. Was it a clean install of 1Password or did you already have your data on this system and then upgrade the OS/1Password? If you do a backup and then do Troubleshooting -> Reset 1Password Data and setup 1Password from a clean state does it recognize the password you type in?

Rudy

• steve_k
    steve_k
    Community Member

clean install today, cant get it to work on my Mac with Sierra, the older Macs have no issue. I have deleted the app and reinstalled, same issue also the Safari plugin doesnt work either. Not a good start....

• steve_k
    steve_k
    Community Member

Sorted it, used Clean my Mac 3 and then had to remove the Application Support, little confusing as it shows 1Password4

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @steve_k! I'm glad it's working for you now.

In case you're curious about why some of the things you tried didn't work:

I have deleted the app and reinstalled...

Your data isn't stored in the 1Password app file - the data and the app are in two separate locations on your Mac. When you deleted the app, you only deleted the app file itself - your 1Password data remained on your Mac. The re-downloaded copy of the app found the data just like the previous app did, so it made no difference.

...also the Safari plugin doesnt work either.

That makes perfect sense: The 1Password browser extension and the 1Password app read from the same database, so they require the same master password. If it doesn't work to unlock one, it won't work to unlock the other.

...had to remove the Application Support, little confusing as it shows 1Password4

The AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac stores data in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/. Removing that 1Password 4 folder will cause the 1Password app to reset itself because it won't be able to find your data. The steps that Rudy gave you (opening 1Password and going to Help > Troubleshooting > Start Over (or Reset All 1Password Data)) would also have reset the app - although it would have preserved your backups, just in case.

1Password 5 and 6 for Mac use all the same data files & folders as 1Password 4 did, which is why that folder is still named "1Password 4". That helps make the upgrade process very easy, but I'm sorry if the folder name caused some confusion for you!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.