Less steps to filling out forms and Logins !

stevensudbrink
stevensudbrink
Community Member

I have recently signed up with dashLane to Evaluate the flow of their login process . One thing I did notice is that some Logins are a little more direct in terms of filling out the information with less interactive steps (like right clicking and choosing one password then selecting the login options from a drop down list). Is one password streamlining their workflow process to make it a little quicker and easier without going through the necessary intermediary steps to fill out web forms/ logins? That being said dashLane has its issues.

Thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stevensudbrink,

Thanks for asking about this.

I moved your post to the Mac category since you mentioned right-clicking which can't be done on an iOS device. :)

The quickest way to sign in to a website with 1Password is to simply press Command-Backslash (\) on your keyboard. Boom. Done.

There may be room for improvement in the workflow for mouse users, but I do want to mention that 1Password will never fill your password without your explicit command. I don't know if this is how that other app you mentioned works, but many browsers' built-in password managers will simply populate the password field as soon as you visit a page. This is a pretty dangerous security flaw.

Automatically filling a web form with no user intervention other than visiting the page can, if combined with something that works around the anti-phishing mechanism, lead to an attack where lots of your usernames and passwords are submitted to a malicious site in a way that is silent and invisible to you.

We require explicit user action to protect you from sweep attacks. See the abstract of this security paper for some more details: https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity14/technical-sessions/presentation/silver

For now, I'd recommend the Command-Backslash (\) keyboard shortcut. But we'll see if we can streamline the process a bit for mouse users (and do so securely). :+1:

This discussion has been closed.