Separating Vaults

Options
karenhand
karenhand
Community Member

I have the following devices currently syncing to the same 1Password account: my Macbook Pro, my iPhone 6S, my iMac, and my bosses Macbook Air. No problems with syncing. Issue is I have two vaults - one for business and one for personal. How do I separate them so that when my boss accesses the business one, she does not see the personal one? I have one master login and my boss and I are the only ones who have it. On my Macbook Pro, which is the computer I opened the account on, I am able to see and pick which vault I want. On every other device, there is not an option to pick a vault.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.2 (632001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @karenhand,

Thanks for asking about this.

The 1Password apps are designed for a single user. They weren't created with multiple users in mind. This is something that may change in the future, and I'll let the developers know you would be interested in seeing it! :+1:

In the meantime, the best thing to do would be to share the work vault from your Dropbox account to your boss's Dropbox account. Then she can set up 1Password on her own devices with her own personal vault. Once she has 1Password set up with a personal vault, she can begin syncing with the existing work vault.

If you need to share a Mac with your boss, you can create separate OS X accounts which will not only keep your 1Password data separate but also your documents and other files.

iOS doesn't have support for multiple users, so ideally you would each have your own iPhones.

If you were interested, we also have a 1Password Teams subscription which won't get around the separate devices (or separate accounts on a Mac) requirement, but it does make sharing a lot simpler.

Let me know if you'd like some additional help with the specifics.

• karenhand
    karenhand
    Community Member
    Options

Would it work if I put the business vault in my boss's DropBox account and we could sync to that one? Then, I would have my personal vault syncing to MY DropBox.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @karenhand,

We should be able to get you set up so that both you and your boss can see the information that you need. In order to do so, let’s take a step back here and get a better idea of what your 1Password ecosystem looks like.

How many computers and devices are currently running 1Password? (It would be helpful to indicate which devices need access to which vaults, or which devices belong to you and which are your boss’s)

Once we know what you’re working with, and what vaults need to go where, we’ll be able to give you some more specific steps to give you the setup you need. :)

• karenhand
    karenhand
    Community Member
    Options

All of the devices we use are listed in the original post above. But, the more I think about it, the more I think I need to get my own password app so that my vault is not co-mingled with my work vault. Once I purchase and download my own password app, I will then input all of my passwords into it, and then delete my personal vault. Since the firm paid for the original license, I think it's best I keep them completely separate. Thanks so much for your input.

• Jacob
    Options

@karenhand Thanks for letting us know. The only way to separate your work stuff from your personal stuff in a case like this would be to have separate user accounts on your Mac. 1Password could then be completely separate on each one. You are using separate vaults for things, so there's no need to worry about your personal data being shared with the company. Just make sure the Master Password is different and you aren't sharing that vault with your team. :)

If your boss is sharing a vault with you, then it's completely separate from yours. If you are sharing a vault with them through your Dropbox account, then there's nothing to worry about here either so long as you're not sharing your personal one with them.

This discussion has been closed.