How can I sync my 'Personal' vault instead of 'Primary' vault to Dropbox?

Options
navneetpotti
navneetpotti
Community Member

I'm using an Individual account and have set my Personal vault as the default to save new items.

However, under Sync on 1Password for Mac, I'm unable to see an option to sync my Personal vault to Dropbox - only the Primary vault is visible.

1. Why can't I sync items in my Personal vault to Dropbox?
  2. If I can't, is there a way for me to move my items from my Personal vault to my Primary vault?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:syncing personal vault

Comments

• rudy
    Options

Hi @navneetpotti,

Thanks for writing in with your questions. I'll try and answer your questions in the order you have them.

You can't sync items in your Personal vault using Dropbox/iCloud/Folder/WLAN because they are already being synchronized using your account to any computers/devices you have connected to your account. Those other synchronization methods aren't needed or used when you're using an Account.

You could move your items to your Primary vault but then you wouldn't be synchronizing them with devices/computers you have connected to your account. This probably isn't what you really want to do here as it leaves you vulnerable to data loss if your computer is ever lost/stolen.

Is there a reason you're still trying to use Dropbox for synchronization after moving to an account?

Rudy

• navneetpotti
    navneetpotti
    Community Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks for writing back, @rudy.

Ok, so what I understand is that as long as I'm using a 1Password account, there's no need for me to sync to any systems outside 1Password. I was looking at Dropbox as an additional backup for my 1Password data because it currently is my go-to system for all file storage.

Silly question, perhaps, but I'm assuming that syncing all my items to my 1Password account allows me to restore that data on any new device at any point, yes? How could I go about that?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@navneetpotti,

Ok, so what I understand is that as long as I'm using a 1Password account, there's no need for me to sync to any systems outside 1Password.

That's exactly right. :)

I was looking at Dropbox as an additional backup for my 1Password data because it currently is my go-to system for all file storage.

Backups are indeed part of good computing hygiene! The good news is that 1Password.com backs up your data automatically.

If you lose all your devices, simply use your Emergency Kit to sign in to your account on a new device. All your data will be there. :+1:

• navneetpotti
    navneetpotti
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks much, @khad.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@navneetpotti,

It's my pleasure. :)

Have a fantastic weekend!

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, but I'm slightly confused. I have just opened an individual 1Password account and copied all my records from the mac app. In the mac app preferences (I can't see any preferences in the online account) I have set Vault for Saving as 'Personal'.

1. I assumed this meant that items created on the desktop app would be saved to Personal, but they're not.
    2. How do i sync the Online app with the desktop app and vice versa. (I have created new records in both and none of them appear in the other. Ditto the vault I created online).

Ken

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Options

Forget question 1 above. I misunderstood the meaning.

Ken

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I'm not entirely sure I understand our question 2. But here's my attemt at understanding and answering.

There is only one app, not separate online and desktop apps, but of course you can use a web browser to access your data.

What you do have are two vaults, Primary and Personal. "Primary" is the old vault that belongs to the stand-alone version. "Personal" is a vault that gets set up with the subscription service. These are not linked or synced in any way. You can move or copy data from one to the other.

If you are planning to stay with the subscription version, you should probably move data from Primary to Personal and stop using Primary (I think you can delete it).

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I have just found out that I missed one step in the set-up process: deleting all the vaults in the standalone app. Voila, it was instantly populated with the online account data (Personal) and is no longer standalone!

Regards

Ken

• Jacob
    Options

@Oxon Glad to hear you got that sorted out. :) Deleting the previous vaults is a step that's easy to miss, and we're working on improving that in the apps themselves. Thanks for posting about it.

• navneetpotti
    navneetpotti
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @khad,

Ok, this is where it gets a bit frustrating. After all that positivity about backing up items to my 1Password account instead of a 3rd party service, when I try and install 1Password on my Android (4.4.4), it says I can't and that I need to create another vault or use a 3rd party service!

When do you expect to support account-based backup to Android versions less than 5?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@navneetpotti,

Oh noes! I'm so sorry for this trouble. 1Password accounts are only supported on Android if you are running Android 5.0 or later. My understanding is that it's not possible to support the accounts in older version of Android as there are important security components that are not available in previous versions of Android. Is it possible to update the version of Android on your device?

This discussion has been closed.