sort favourites

Options
m_w
m_w
Community Member

What determines the order of the favourites? Would be good if you could choose how you wanted them sorted, e.g. by title or by age would work for me.

Cheers
Michael

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @m_w! Great question. The order is usually determined by when they were added, then you can also rearrange them if you'd like by dragging and dropping them in, say, 1Password for Mac. If you'd like to reorder them in one of the other apps, I'd just recommend removing the favorites and adding them back in the order you prefer. The order will sync among your devices. :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Jacob - I should have said the main issue is when viewing the favourites on my iPhone or iPad; on my Mac I can sort the favourites by any column - so no issue there. You mentioned the order should sync across all devices but when I apply a sort on my Mac nothing changes on my iPhone. I tried removing/adding of favourites with one item. I selected the last one in the favourites list on my iPhone and removed it; I then added it back as favourite but it only moved from last to 2nd but last place.

• Jacob
    Options

@m_w Are you using a family account for all of this? It should sync between your Mac and iPhone when you change the order on your Mac. And when I tried removing and adding an item on my iPhone, it actually puts it at the top of the list. One thing to check is whether you're using All Vaults or just one of your vaults. I'd recommend switching to a single vault at a time to manage your favorites in it.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Yes - I'm using a Family account with items shared between me and my wife and I was viewing all vaults.
    I started playing around with the favourites with just a single vault and the results seem to be quite random still; e.g. when removing and adding the same item twice it moves to different positions each time.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@m_w,

I am having a little trouble reproducing what you are describing, so I'm wondering if I am missing an important step. When I switch to a specific vault and manually rearrange the items in Favorites, they stay where I put them. If you're not seeing that, could you let me know the exact steps you are taking and what you are [not] seeing happen?

We'd love to get it sorted out (no pun intended) if there is a bug somewhere. :+1:

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Ok - here's my setup using Families:

Personal vault - 1 item, 0 shared
    1 shared - 12 items, 0 shared
    B shared - 300 items, 6 shared
    M shared - 774 items, 17 shared
    o shared - 74 items, 0 shared
    W shared - 68 items, 2 favourites
    Shared - 4 items, 0 shared

On my iPhone, I select to view just the vault M shared
    I select item #16 which based on alpha order should be on 3rd position
    I unmark it as favourite
    I go back to the favourites list and it has gone
    I select the item again
    I mark it as favourite
    Now it's at position #17
    I select it again
    I unmark it as favourite
    I go back to the favourites list and it has gone
    I select the item again
    I mark it as favourite
    Now it's at position #17 again

Hmm - so I can't reproduce it either now :-)

But I noticed something else.

On my iMac, I edited the title of a secure note which is marked as a favourite. Before the edit it was somewhere in the middle of the favourites list on my iPhone and after the edit it changed position but still was somewhere in the middle. So I thought I'll try that again with another note; I changed the title on my iMac but this time the item remains in the same position on my iPhone and the title in the favourites list still shows the old name. However, when I open it on my iPhone it shows the new title and when I close it shows the old name again in the favourites list.

Cheers
    Michael

• Jacob
    Options

Thanks for the details. I'm sorry things aren't quite working the right way for you. We'll look into how we can improve this in the future. :+1: I appreciate you taking the time to chat about it.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

I found out a bit more about the renaming issue.
    I changed the title of an item in the favourites list and the item itself shows the new name but the title in the favourites list still shows the old name. The name in the favourites list only gets updated when you remove the item from the list and add it back.

As for the sorting in the favourites list it still seems rather random; the items I renamed to test the above issue and therefore removed and added back to the favourites list should be in position 2 and 3 based on alphanumeric sort or position 1 and 2 based on modification times but instead they appear at positions 3 and 13.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @m_w,

I think I might have an idea about what's causing some of the confusion here. In one of your previous replies, you mentioned this:

on my Mac I can sort the favourites by any column

Are you by any chance using the Top layout option in 1Password on your Mac? (If you open the main 1Password app and go to View > Layout in the menu, it will show which layout is currently selected.) The Top layout has columns that you can use to sort items, but that won't change the order on your other devices.

This might help to clear up some confusion: In 1Password on your Mac, please go to View > Layout and select Left. Then select Favorites in the left sidebar. The order of the Favorites in this view should match the order of Favorites on your iPhone and iPad. Now if you manually drag one of those items to a different position in the Favorites list, that change should sync to your iOS devices. Can you try that and confirm if it works for you?

You can also do this when using the Top layout in 1Password for Mac, although it's not as obvious:

• In 1Password on your Mac, go to View > Layout and select Top.
    • Select Favorites in the left sidebar.
    • At the top of the list of items, right-click on one of the column headers and choose Favorite (this will add the Favorite column).
    • If the items are sorted by one of the other columns, click the Favorite column header to sort by position number (the items should now be in the same order as the Left layout).

If you manually drag items up or down in the list while sorted by Favorite to change their position, that change should sync to your other devices.

Does that help? I'm sorry for the confusion about that. Please let us know how it all goes and if it works as I've described. Thanks! :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew_AG - that kind of works. Some items are a bit jumpy and don't stick to the position they ought to have but most others fall in line.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @m_w,

I'm glad that helped! I'm not sure why some items wouldn't stay where you put them, though. Are there any specific steps you can give us to try to reproduce that? For example, does that happen from Left or Top layout? If it's in Top layout, do you have the items sorted by the Favorite column when dragging them to a different position? Do they stay in the new position at first but jump back to the old position after some time, or is the problem that they won't go to the new position when you drag them there?

We can continue looking into this if you'd like. Just let us know. :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG - I'll have another look and come back with more details ...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry - didn't have time to look at this before now.

Here's what I did:

1. I start 1Pwd on my iMac and I have 1 shared vault selected in Top layout
    2. I select Favourites from the left hand list which shows 17 items sorted by Title
    3. I start 1Pwd on my iPhone and have the same shared vault selected
    4. I select Favourites from the bottom menu which shows those 17 items but seemingly sorted at random
    5. I go back to 1Pwd on my iMac and expose the Favourites column and sort by it
    6. However, the sort by favourites does not work as expected as the item indices appear in this order: 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 7 10 11 8 14 12 13 15 16 17
    7. Using the Favourite numbers from 1Pwd on my iMac, the item's indices on my iPhone are in this order: 1 2 3 4 5 6 8 11 9 7 10 12 13 14 15 16 17 which is different to the iMac order
    8. Looking at the modification dates, the Favourite indices do not correspond to the modification dates
    9. Now I try to bring the list on my iMac into alphanumeric order
    10. I drag index 17 to position 1 (the indices of the remaining items shift accordingly and iPhone updates as well)
    11. I drag index 4 to position 3 (the indices of the remaining items shift accordingly and iPhone updates as well)
    12. I drag index 10 to position 5 (the indices of the remaining items shift accordingly and iPhone updates as well)
    13. I drag index 17 to position 6 (the indices of the remaining items shift accordingly and iPhone updates as well)
    14. I drag index 10 to position 7 (the indices of the remaining items shift accordingly and iPhone updates as well)
    15. I drag index 12 to various positions and then 11 (it was at the right position but had the wrong favourite index; so I moved it first to some other place; this caused some jumping as the item didn't stay where I moved it to and jumped to a different new position; only after a few more attempts did it eventually settle at position 11 with index 11; however, the item's position remains unchanged in the wrong place on the iPhone)
    16. I drag index 13 to position 17 and then 12 (it was at the right position but had the wrong favourite index; so I moved it first to some position 17; this worked and the item is now at position 12 with index 12; however, the item moved to position 10 on the iPhone)
    17. I drag index 16 to position 13 (it moved to right position but the index changed to 11; on the iPhone it moves to position 12)
    18. I leave the rest as is
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @m_w,

Wow, thanks for all the details of your testing! I'm not sure why you're running into problems changing the order of just some of your Favorites. Just to make sure, you have a specific vault selected in 1Password, right? The reason I ask is because, if you're in the All Vaults view (which shows items from multiple vaults at the same time), the Favorites order might not work as expected.

Assuming you're viewing a specific vault in the above testing, it's very strange that a couple numbers are out of order when you sort by the Favorite column on your Mac. If you click on the "Favorite" column header a couple times (to reverse the sort order, then back to the normal sort order) does that make any difference?

Also, as far as the order on your Mac not matching the order on your iPhone, can you please try this:

• On your Mac, open 1Password and select the vault with the 17 Favorites.
    • Go to View > Item List Layout > Left.
    • Select Favorites in the left sidebar.
    • Compare the order of the Favorites (in Left layout) on your Mac to the order of the Favorites on your iPhone - do they match, or are some still in the wrong order on the iPhone?
    • If the order doesn't match, try dragging a couple items to new positions on your Mac - does the order update correctly on your iPhone?
    • If the order matches, try switching back to Top layout in 1Password on your Mac - are the items now sorted correctly?

Thanks!

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I had only 1 vault selected on both my iMac and iPhone.

I tried the Left view and indeed the order on my iMac and iPhone match. But when I switch back to Top view they get out of sync again on my iMac; the remain unchanged on my iPhone.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @m_w, sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

That's really strange, and I'm afraid I haven't been able to reproduce this problem on my own Mac and iPhone. I've tested with different vaults in both Left and Top views, and have rearranged the Favorites on my Mac many times, and each time I do that, the order is updated correctly on my iPhone, so the Favorites list in each vault always matches.

I wonder if this might be a difference in the versions you and I are using (for example, I'm using the latest beta version on my Mac). Looking back through this discussion, I don't think we've asked about that, so if you don't mind, could you check on a few details:

Thanks in advance!

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

What exact version of OS X / macOS are you running on your Mac?
    10.12 (16A323)

What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    1Password
    Version 6.3.3 (633000)
    Mac App Store

What exact version of iOS do you have on your iPhone?

What exact version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @m_w!

I'm still unsure why that isn't working correctly for you, so in order to help us figure that out, I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from your Mac and one from your iPhone:

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Reports in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email(s), along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your reports in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the reports and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the reports we'll take a look to see if we can find the problem. Thanks in advance! :)

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

I'll get that info this weekend ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem. We're here any time. :)

This discussion has been closed.