I get a permission error with attachments

Options
archaeosci
archaeosci
Community Member

I get the error: The file “filename.pdf” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it. when I try to open any attachment in 1P. The error persists even when I copy the attachment to the Finder. There I examined the permissions with "Get Info…" The files show that I have permission to Read & Write, but retain the error even if I change the permissions by adding additional RW users.

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: 6.3.2
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:attachment permissions

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @archaeosci! Sorry about that. Were you able to open the attachment just fine before you added it to 1Password? If so, please could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac?

How to send a diagnostics report to AgileBits

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• archaeosci
    archaeosci
    Community Member
    Options

So, I discovered that
    (1) if I try to open the attachment PDF by double-clicking it within 1P I get the error,
    (2) if I save, or drag & drop, the attached PDF to the desktop, I get the error,
    (3) however, if I use another program to view the PDF with, in my case I happened to use MacJournal 2, it opened fine!
    (4) also, I found that if I saved the PDF from 1P to a different folder, and not the Desktop, it also opened fine in Preview.
    (5) even more disconcerting if I move a PDF, whether or not it was a 1P attachment, that opens fine to the Desktop, I get the permissions error. It seems that there is something amiss with the Desktop and Permissions.
    This may be related to an issue I just found on Apple's support forum. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6638141?start=0&tstart=0
    When I have time to go through the hassle of booting Safe Mode, I can see if Repairing Permissions and restarting has any affect on this problem.

• archaeosci
    archaeosci
    Community Member
    Options

I have also discovered that this problem does not recur in Mac OS Sierra beta (10.12). There everything works in 1P or on the Desktop. So this appears to be related to earlier OSes.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up here to let us know how that turned out! I'm glad to hear the problem wasn't being caused by 1Password, and that it seems to be something that has been fixed in the macOS Sierra beta. We really appreciate that you took the time to let us know about that! :)

We're here for you if you need more help with 1Password. Cheers!

• archaeosci
    archaeosci
    Community Member
    Options

As a final note, I took time to do a Safe Mode reboot and run Repair Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility. This has fixed the problem in Yosemite as well.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @archaeosci

Thank you very much for the update, it sounds like you got into some interesting trouble here but everything's back to working now for you. Thank you for sharing what helped you solve this problem, I hope everything goes smoothly for you from now on :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.