How to add family members to family license?

Options
lina
lina
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Families

My brother has a family license but no account, he only uses his license locally (I think he signed up before the subscription model). How can he invite me to use his family license?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @lina,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Welcome to the forums! The older style family licenses are only valid for folks who live under the same roof. If that applies to your situation then your brother would simply give you his license information.

Licensing and data are totally separate, so him sharing his license with you does not share any of his 1Password data with you. If you'd like to set that up as well please see this guide:

How to share a vault using Dropbox

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• lina
    lina
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. He has given me his license info but when I download 1password I don't see anywhere to enter it, it just asks me to sign up. Where do I enter the license info?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2016
    Options

Lina,

After you create a new vault you'll use the 1Password > License menu at the top of the screen to enter the license information.

Set up 1Password on your Mac

Thanks. :)

Ben

• lina
    lina
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. Can you tell me how to create a new vault? I don't see the option in the program. The only options I have are to sign in, create a new account, or find an existing vault.

• Lina,

You should see the option to "Create your first vault" right on the welcome screen:

Do you not have that option?

Ben

• lina
    lina
    Community Member
    Options
  • @lina,

My apologies.

1Password 6 Beta for Windows 10 does not have support for creating standalone vaults. It is designed primarily to work with our subscription services. If your brother's family license is valid for Windows you'll need to download the 1Password 4 for Windows app:

https://agilebits.com/downloads

Ben

This discussion has been closed.