How do I merge my 'primary' and 'personal' vaults so I can sync my logins to my iPad?

JacobMichie
JacobMichie
Community Member

I have used 1Password for several years but never created an account. All my logins are stored on my primary vault. I have just bought an iPad and want to use 1Password on that now. Therefore, I created a 1 Password account. I now have two vaults: Primary - not connected to my account and has all my logins; and my personal vault which came with my account but does not contain any logins. My primary vault does not sync to my iPad, only my personal vault. Therefore, I cannot access any of my logins on my iPad.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OS X El Capitan
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot sync my main (primary) vault to my iPad as it doesn't seem to be

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JacobMichie,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! I'm glad to hear you've signed up for a 1Password account.

It sounds like you've done everything correctly so far, and all you need to do now is move your data from the Primary vault into your Personal/account vault. Once you do that, it will automatically sync to 1Password on your iPad since you've already signed into your account there.

Basically you just need to switch to your Primary vault in 1Password on your Mac, then select & move all the items there to your Personal/account vault. We show you exactly how to do that here: To import data into your new account

It should be pretty easy so I don't think you'll run into any trouble with that, but if you do or if you have any questions, just let us know. We're here for you! :)

• ishming
    ishming
    Community Member

Hi!

So what about "merging". I had a number of vaults that got out of sync on computers. I now want bring them all into my "personal" account.

I seriously don't want duplicates of identical records.

Am I safe importing multiple times or am I facing a world of hurt with 800+ logins?

Thanks!

• @ishming,

If you're copying/moving the item as a bulk operation then you'll definitely end up with duplicates in your Personal vault and a world of hurt to untangle it.

My best recommendation open the main 1Password application and switch to the particular vault that has the local items in it. Then in the item list click on the button under the search field. The best settings to figure out the items that have gotten out of sync is going to be to have it sort by Date Modified and Most recent to oldest. Any items that have modification dates prior to when you started this all can be excluded since those shouldn't have deviated on this particular machine. What remains should be only recent edits that you made after your initial copy into the Personal vault.

Rudy

• ishming
    ishming
    Community Member

Thanks for the support Rudy!

So you'll know my next request then for support. :-)

Duplicate detection and deduping. Yep!

Thanks again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rudy, you're quite welcome! And thanks for your request - the ability to detect and merge duplicate items would be a handy feature, although it's a lot more complicated and difficult than it probably seems. But we never say never, so perhaps one day we'll come up with something to help in that situation.

If you need anything else, we're here for you. Have a great week! :)

• ian128K
    ian128K
    Community Member

This doesn't work. The app crashed in the middle of syncing to 1Password.com and there's no way to sync all of the contents of my Dropbox vault that I've had on my phone for nearly a decade to my new 1Password.com "Personal" vault. I need this to work soon (like within a day) so that I can enable Travel Mode.

• @ian128K Sorry about the trouble! To get a better idea of what the issue is, and make sure we find out what caused the crash, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac?

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email, and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a confirmation number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.