Download & Access issues

jlksullivan
jlksullivan
Community Member

I bought this Jan 2015. I'm trying to use it on my new phone and it won't let me; trying to get it also on my new laptop and I can't download as I don't recall my access key. I do have the original order number. I don't want to have to repurchase something that I already paid for.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Bought this 1/15. Trying to install on phone & new laptop & no idea on key...

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jlksullivan,

I'm sorry you're having a bit of difficulty getting 1Password set up on your iPhone and your new Mac! But don't worry, I can definitely help you with that.

From your description, it sounds like you chose the option to sign into a 1Password account. A 1Password account is a subscription service that we started offering this year. What you purchased in 2015 would have been a 1Password license (specifically, a license for the Mac version of 1Password). So basically, you just need to go back and choose a different option in the 1Password app.

If you're curious about the difference between a license and an account, we explain more about that here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

Now, you can absolutely sign up for a 1Password account if you want. There are many benefits, and one is that syncing your data to other devices is very easy - just sign into your account from the 1Password app! But you're also more than welcome to continue using the license you bought - you just need to sync your data using one of the other sync options such as Dropbox or iCloud. If you aren't already syncing the 1Password data on your current Mac, you'll need to set that up first. We have information about each sync option here: Sync your 1Password data

Once you're syncing your 1Password data, you just need to choose that same option when setting up 1Password on other devices. For example, if you sync via Dropbox, then when you open 1Password on your iPhone, you'll need to select "Use without an account" and then you'll be able to choose Dropbox.

Sorry for any confusion about that! We're working on making it clearer in the apps so it will make more sense in the future. If you have any questions about that or are still having trouble getting things set up, just let us know. Thanks! :)

• jlksullivan
    jlksullivan
    Community Member

This is helpful. Thank you. If I choose to go with a subscription, do I get a discount since I am a current customer? And, can I move over existing 1Password data from my license into the subscription, or do I lose everything and need to begin again as though I'm a completely new customer?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @jlksullivan! I'm glad that helped.

If I choose to go with a subscription, do I get a discount since I am a current customer?

We actually just announced our new 1Password accounts for individuals recently, and as part of our launch special, if you sign up before September 21st, you get the first 6 months completely free! As Dave mentions in that blog post, it's a bit scary for us to give it away for free for half a year, but we wanted to offer something really great to thank our existing customers. The best part is that you don't even need to add a credit card to your account during that time, so there's nothing to lose by trying it. If you decide you want to cancel your account and switch back to using your license, we'll even help you do that. :)

And, can I move over existing 1Password data from my license into the subscription, or do I lose everything and need to begin again as though I'm a completely new customer?

Don't worry, you won't lose any of your data! That would be a terrible experience, and I can't imagine anyone would want to switch to an account if that was necessary.

It's actually very easy to move your existing data to an account - after you create your account, just sign into it from the 1Password app, and you'll be able to move all your items from the old vault to the new one. We have a guide (including a video) that shows you exactly how to do that: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you decide to try it out, we'd love to know what you think! And of course, if you need any help along the way, or have more questions about it, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

• jlksullivan
    jlksullivan
    Community Member

I created a new account. I can't see my old 1Password data. Please help! Here's the scenario:

(1) I have 1Password on my old Macbook Air
    (2) I created a new 1Password Account on my new Macbook Air because I could not get my old license installed and per instructions felt it would be better to create a new account
    (3) I have the new account but how do I see my ol 1Password data as my 1Password account on my new laptop has no passwords because it is new.
    (4) I did watch the video above on migrating data. It wasn't relevant as the person's 1Password account had data in it when she opened it.

Thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016

Hi @jlksullivan,

Glad to hear you signed up for an account! Sorry you've having a bit of trouble moving your existing data into that account, but I'm sure we can help figure it out.

It sounds like the problem is that you haven't moved the existing data from your old vault (i.e. the one called "Primary" which is not part of your account) to your new account vault. The video from our support site shows how to do that starting at 2:08, and you can use this link to jump directly to that part of the video.

You can also find those steps listed further down in that support article. Here's a link to the section with those steps: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#to-import-data-into-your-new-account

Now, those steps assume you already have your data in the Primary vault in 1Password on that Mac (and if so, you can add your account to 1Password on that Mac and move data from one vault to the other). But if you're trying to do this on your new Mac and have not yet synced the vault from your old Mac, that might explain the confusion.

So let's take a quick step back: You used to use 1Password on a different Mac. Do you still have that Mac, and do you still have your data in 1Password on that Mac? If so, and if you're using 1Password 6 on that Mac, you can follow our steps to sign into your new account in 1Password on the old Mac and move your data from the Primary vault to your account vault.

Alternately, if you had been syncing your 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud, we can help you add a local/Primary vault to 1Password on your new Mac, sync your data to that Primary vault from Dropbox or iCloud, and then move it to your new account vault. Just let us know if you'd like to do it this way and we can explain how to do that.

It's all easier than it probably sounds, but I'm sorry for any confusion. The good news is that once this is taken care of, you'll never have to worry about doing it again! ;)

• jlksullivan
    jlksullivan
    Community Member

This was very helpful. Thank you for helping me get up and running. One final question - I turned on the automatically fill in credentials for web sites but now when I click on the login information, it doesn't automatically fill in the ID and password on any site. I always need to do this manually. What else do I need to check off in order for this to automatically populate? And will this translate to Safari or Chrome - in other words does it matter which browser I'm using as I switch between the 2? Thanks again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jlksullivan,

I'm happy to hear you were able to migrate your data to your new 1Password account!

As for 1Password not filling your username/password on websites, you'll need to make sure you have the 1Password extension installed in whichever browser you want to use:

Once the extension is installed, there are a couple basic ways to have 1Password fill websites with the data from your Login items. You can double-click a Login item in 1Password to have it open the website and fill the sign-in form, or you can open the website first and then use the 1Password extension (by clicking on its button in the browser and choosing the Login item, or by using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut).

If that isn't working correctly, the troubleshooting steps in this knowledgebase article might help: If 1Password isn't working in your browser

Does that help at all? If not, please describe the exact steps you're taking to have 1Password fill sign-in forms on websites, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.