I subscribed and set up my personal vault. Do I need to delete my Primary Vault synced to dropbox?

Bazzamataz
Bazzamataz
Community Member

Hi folks, I finally found my way through the process to subscribe to the new 1Password subscription service. And then found how to create my Personal Vault. (The process was less then clear). I now have all my devices using my Personal Vault as the default.

My Question is about my Primary Vault. It is still on all my devices and syncing via dropbox. Do I need to do anything with the Primary Vault or just leave it alone? Should I keep the dropbox sync?

Thank you

Barry

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I subscribed and set up my personal vault. Do I need to delete my Primary Vault synced to dropbox?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bazzamataz,

I'm sorry the process of setting up your new 1Password account wasn't very clear! We're definitely working on making that much clearer to avoid this sort of confusion in the future. In the meantime, I'm glad you were able to figure that out and set it up on your devices.

As for the Primary vault, as long as you've already moved all your data from there to your new account vault(s), there's really no reason to keep the Primary vault. It's usually a good idea to remove the Primary vault (and any other local/standalone vaults you might have) in order to avoid confusion. Just make sure you've moved all your data to your account first.

To delete the Primary vault from your Mac, switch to the Primary vault in the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menu. After reading the warning that appears, enter the master password for your Primary vault and click Delete Items and Vault.

If you happen to have any local/standalone secondary vaults (i.e. not Primary, but not part of your account), you'll need to delete those first before you can delete the Primary vault. Just switch to a secondary vault, then go to 1Password > Delete [vault name] Vault... in the menu. After deleting each local/standalone secondary vault, you'll be able to delete the Primary vault.

If you're using 1Password on any iOS devices, the best way to get rid of your Primary vault at the moment is to go into 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data, and then set up the app by signing into your account again. (We're working on making this easier in the future.) Again, you'll want to make sure you've already migrated your data to your account vault(s) before doing this.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• Bazzamataz
    Bazzamataz
    Community Member

Thank you so much for a quick response. You make it all sound so easy. I did what you said and cleaned up my Mac. I'm just a bit anxious about deleting my Passwords on my Iphone. I take it that they won't all disappear and I'll lose them forever. Thanks heaps. Ciao

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bazzamataz

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! If all your passwords are on your computer as well (or even better, already in your account!) then deleting the app from your iPhone won't affect it. You can delete the app, install it again and when you set up your account everything will be back there in your phone :chuffed:

Please let us know how all this goes for you!

• Bazzamataz
    Bazzamataz
    Community Member

Excellent! Too Easy - Thanks for all your help - Ciao

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm happy to hear it all went well! Thanks for following up to let us know. Hopefully you're all set now, but we're here for you if you have more questions or need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.