How can I override the sync location if it is not available?

kaos
kaos
Community Member

I currently have 1Password configured to sync to a network drive that is currently not available because I am traveling. So I am getting constant errors because 1Password cannot sync to this location. Is there some way I can override this setting and disable the sync for now? If I look at the Sync options now it appears as if there is no sync configured and there are no options available.

Thanks,
Kris

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync location not available

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kaos,

I'm sorry you keep getting those errors! But I can definitely help you solve this.

If the settings in 1Password won't let you disable sync for that vault, there's a workaround:

• Open 1Password and go to File > Backup from the menu.
    • In the Backup preferences window, select the new backup you just created and click the Restore button (follow the steps to complete the restore).
    • After the restore, open & unlock 1Password and go back to Preferences > Sync to confirm it is set to None.

If you still want to use Folder sync with a network drive, it's better to configure Folder sync to point to a local folder on your Mac, and then use a sync utility / file copy tool (such as Chronosync, rsync, or SuperDuper) to copy the contents of the folder to/from the network drive. That will ensure 1Password won't run into any problems if the network drive is unavailable.

I hope that helps, but if you have questions about that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• kaos
    kaos
    Community Member

Thanks for the help, it worked eventually, but it took awhile to respond. It seemed like the 1Password software was so busy trying to connect to the inaccessible network drive that it could not even display the pertinent info. Attached is a screenshot of the backup options when I was trying to follow your suggestion. After much waiting and clearing of the constant errors (about an hour) it finally responded and I was able to complete a backup and restore.

I have experimented with syncing to a local folder in 1Password and using a 3rd party application to then sync that location to a network drive. I have been dissatisfied with all of the apps I have tried and would prefer to avoid using another application that needs to be manually run on demand or is always running in the background. Syncing to a network folder has worked well with the exception of these errors when the NAS is offline or I am not connected to the network.

It would be a great if when presented with an error for an unavailable sync location there was an option to disable syncing in the error window or to try again instead of just dismissing the error. Just a thought since I am guessing I am not the only person to encounter this error. Thanks for the help and for making a great product.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kaos,

I'm glad that helped, but sorry to hear about the delay when trying to backup/restore! That's very unusual, but it sounds like it might have been related to the problem with the repeating error messages.

As far as syncing directly to the NAS, my understanding is that there's no Apple API to notify 1Password when a network drive is no longer available like there is for removable (USB) drives. Therefore, 1Password cannot easily detect when the NAS becomes unavailable, and it keeps trying to sync with it (which results in those error messages). Our developers have made some improvements to how 1Password reacts in that situation, but as you've noticed, it can still run into some trouble. I apologize for the inconvenience!

Aside from that, I hope you've been enjoying 1Password. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.