Duplicates - Don't get it

cactusem
cactusem
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Mac

I really don't understand the difference between the online service and what I have always used. Do I trash the application on my computer and simply use the browser one when I want to enter or look up something?
I tried to follow directions for setting up the online and now I have 'All Vaults' which opens to two choices > Primary and Emily Alexander Personal with a Flag.
If I keep it on All Vaults I have double of everything. Can I/should I delete one of my accounts so I only have a single account with my info? If so, which one? What does the blue flag mean? If I can't delete an account, can I set it to open to just one of the accounts instead of All Vaults?
How is this 'new way' supposed to be better or different or whatever....I don't get it. I am about to abandon 1Password and simply use the Apple keychain.
Please enlighten me. Thank you.
Emily

1Password Version:_6.3.2 (app on my computer but am online too)
_Extension Version:

OS Version: 10.11.6
_Sync Type:_wi-fi (I think)

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cactusem

I'm very sorry for the confusion between 1Password and all the different ways in which it works. What you have always used is a license, the new service are accounts. The first thing to understand the difference between licenses and accounts is this forum post.

The main huge difference is that with a license your data is stored locally, while with an account it is stored on our servers. This opens many door and makes it so much easier to access your data. For example, only with the new way can you access your data from any browser without the need to install the app.

If you want to keep on using your account the easiest way is to delete everything from the primary vault after you've moved it. that way you'll be sure to keep everything in your vault on the account, the one with the flag. You can pick which vault you're using by clicking on "All Vaults" and selecting the right one. To delete everything from your Primary vault and stop seeing duplicates, just right click on any item on the list and then "Select all", then "Move to Trash". You can even fully delete the Primary Vault and use only your account, to do this just go to Preferences in one password and then click on Advanced. Disable the option "Allow creation of local Vaults" and you'll be all set!

Please let us know how all this goes for you, if you have any more questions we're here to guide you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.