1Password is locking at times when it seems like it should not.

chakroth
chakroth
Community Member

Hi,

On the security tab of preferences, I only have "lock on sleep" and "lock when fast user switching" enabled. Nevertheless, 1Password seems to auto-lock itself if I am away from an extended period of time. I'm not sure how long, but usually if I come back and the display is in screen-save mode (or blanked) then 1Password is auto-locked. Is this a bug or a feature (or am I doing something wrong)?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:locks at times when not configured to

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chakroth,

Thanks for writing in to ask about that! I'm sorry the auto-lock feature isn't working as you expect.

You didn't specify which version of 1Password you're using on your Mac, but assuming you have version 6.3 or higher (the latest is currently 6.3.2), this might be working a little differently for you than in earlier versions. Starting with version 6.3, if you have "Lock on Sleep" enabled, 1Password will lock itself when either the display sleeps or the system sleeps. It sounds like that might explain at least part of the behavior you described. While there are reasons why that change was made, we know some customers prefer more control over that, and I'd be happy to let our developers know you'd like display sleep and system sleep to be separate auto-lock settings.

Now, the option to lock 1Password when the screensaver is activated is still a separate setting, so if you have that disabled, I'm not sure why it would become locked when just the screensaver starts. Is it possible 1Password only locks itself on display sleep? If it also happens when only the screensaver is activated, please let us know and we'll be happy to take a further look into that. Thanks! :)

ref: OPM-4166

• chakroth
    chakroth
    Community Member

It is mostly likely as you say, it is auto-locking on display sleep. I do have lock on screen saver turned off. I'll do some testing over the weekend to verify that. Assuming this is the case, the separate option of computer sleep versus display sleep would be welcome.

BTW i am running v6.3.2 of the mac version.

Thanks!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chakroth

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! Please let us know what you find out and if there's anything else that we can do for you :chuffed:

• chakroth
    chakroth
    Community Member

Hi Support Team,

The testing I did confirms that 1Password is locking on "Display Sleep". When I look at "Lock on sleep" in preferences, I think of "Computer Sleep", not display sleep. My request is to a) certainly clarify the language in the UI, b) It would be fab if you either changed the behavior and wording to reflect "Computer Sleep" (since it doesn't matter to me at all if the display sleeps in regards to security... if I want something like that I'll use "Lock on screen saver"); or if you separate the behavior into two preferences: one for computer sleep and one for display sleep.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for confirming that, @chakroth! And thank you for the feedback, too. There are definitely others who agree with you, and I can certainly add your comments to our internal tracker.

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• mttransplant
    mttransplant
    Community Member

I would like to echo what @chakroth said. My preference would be for his 2nd suggestion, separate out "Lock on computer sleep" and "Lock on display sleep."

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to let us know, @mttransplant! I'll be happy to forward your comments to our developers as well. :)

• mdvzo
    mdvzo
    Community Member

Was this feature ever added? I lock my display frequently but only lock my system at night and now I have to turn this feature off since it is locking 1Password all the time now. Much needed feature the same as a Mac has different options for Display and System Sleep.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mdvzo,

Thanks for letting us know, we appreciate the feedback! There's been no change to that, so the 'Lock on sleep' setting still works the same way. I'll add your comments to our internal tracker to let our developers know you would also like to have separate Auto-lock settings for display sleep and system sleep.

Cheers! :)

• kylefox
    kylefox
    Community Member

Please add me to the list of people who would like this option :)

I was getting a bit irritated because it felt like 1Password was locking far more often than it should be given my security settings. Then I finally realized it was locking when my display sleeps. Stumbled upon this thread looking for a solution.

I'd love a way to have 1Password lock when my computer goes to sleep, but NOT when my display goes to sleep. Thanks!

• timothymh
    timothymh
    Community Member

I definitely agree — I put my display to sleep all the time, and it's really too often to be entering my password... but I definitely want to lock it when I close the lid of my computer!

• Thanks for the feedback. Many of us here would also like separate display sleep and system sleep settings in 1Password, and I think there’s a good chance we’ll see that at some point, but right now I don’t have any timeframe and I can’t promise if or when it will happen.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.