upgrade issue

margleon
margleon
Community Member

I upgraded to el capitan and then upgraded 1 password to 6. The new 1 password won't load

1Password Version: 6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I downloaded the 6 upgrade, but it won't load

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @margleon

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password isn't working as well as it should after updating it. Could you please tell me some more details of what's going on? What exactly do you mean by "it won't load"? You can't install the app at all? You installed 1Password but it's not picking up your data? When you try to open do you see a blank square? Is it something else? If you can, a screenshot to go with your explanation could help us find the solution sooner!

I hope to hear back from you soon so you can get set up with 1Password! :chuffed:

• margleon
    margleon
    Community Member

Thank you for your response. I downloaded the app but it would not install at all. It says I have more than one on my computer, and I do have a 3.8.22 there, but I do not want to delete it before the new one is functional.

• margleon
    margleon
    Community Member

It is now sept 4. The new app is sitting in my applications, but does nothing when I try to open it.
    margeleon

• margleon
    margleon
    Community Member

Now when I try to open the application it says "1password connected to the wrong copy of 1 password mini. This happens when you have multiple copies of 1 password on your mac." It then tells me to discard the extra copies. I cannot find more than one 1password 6. I do have an old 3.8.22, but I don't want to discard that. What should I do?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @margleon,

I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this! We generally reply to the oldest threads in the list first and work toward the newest. Unfortunately, each time a new comment is added to a discussion, the timestamp on the thread is updated and it gets bumped up to the top of the list (i.e. "the newest"). So each of your follow-up posts had the unfortunate side-effect of moving you further down the line. I apologize for the inconvenience!

The error message you're getting isn't referring to version 3.8.22, so it's ok to leave that one where it is. The problem only affects newer versions of 1Password (4, 5, or 6) and happens due to a strange issue in Yosemite and El Capitan. Basically, if you have more than one copy of the 1Password 4/5/6 app and try to open one of them, the operating system often tries to launch 1Password mini from one of the other copies of the app that it finds. It won't work when that happens, which is why you get that error message. Unfortunately there's not much we can do because the operating system determines which copy of 1Password mini to run, and it's choosing the wrong one.

However, you can solve the problem by deleting the extra copy (or copies) of the 1Password 4/5/6 app. The error message should tell you where it found the other copies so you can go there and delete them (just make sure you don't use any app cleaning utilities to do that). We explain more about that here: If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

Please let us know how it all goes, and if you're still having trouble with that, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• margleon
    margleon
    Community Member

I tried again today to open 1Password 6 and it finally opened and transferred my content without a problem. I also was able to install the mini in Safari. Thank you all for staying with me, though I have no idea why I was successful today!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @margleon! I'm glad to hear it started working. It's definitely an odd problem and can happen randomly. Hopefully it works perfectly for you from now on, but if you run into that problem again, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.