Shared vaults for individual users?

Options
pzuraq
pzuraq
Community Member

Hey! Just signed up for a personal account, moving from the standalone apps, and everything is working pretty great so far. One thing that it doesn't seem is possible though is to share a vault with another 1password user who also has a personal account. I get that you're trying to sell Teams/Families accounts as well, but for logistical reasons neither of those solutions make sense for us. We're not a team or family sharing lots of passwords, we're just people living in the same house who all want our own 1password accounts and want to share a couple of things like wifi/utility/netflix passwords.

We'd prefer to have our own individual accounts, and a shared vault that can have the (few) shared passwords that we have in it. Is there any way that can happen without upgrading to a Team/Family account?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: 10.12.beta7
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:share

Comments

• Hey @pzuraq! Hope your weekend is off to a good start. :) I would be happy to answer your questions about the new account.

One thing that it doesn't seem is possible though is to share a vault with another 1password user who also has a personal account.

I'm glad you brought this up. It's something we've thought about as well, and we're still working on an exact solution for it. The security side of things is a bit challenging, as I'm sure you can imagine. After all, you have your own unique Account Key and Master Password and the person you want to share with has a separate account with their own details. There needs to be a common factor to create a sharing environment. :sweat: So this is still in the pondering stages.

A workaround for this right now would be using a family account. I know you would rather not upgrade to one, but if you did decide to, you can have guests on the account and those could be the people you need to share things with. I invite guests to my family account to share our WiFi password. They can't have the Netflix one because we only have two devices and I know they'll sit there with dual streams. :wink:

Hope that helps for now! I've forwarded your feedback to the team so they know there's some interest in this. Thanks again.

ref: B5-1992

• pzuraq
    pzuraq
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I figured that it would be difficult on a technical level. Good to know y'all have thought of it and that it might be coming eventually! In the meantime, we'll probably just duplicate passwords manually, there aren't that many of them.

Thanks!

• All righty. Just be sure to check them once in a while and make sure things are consistent. Don't want things getting out of sync. ;)

Hope you have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.