password changed without my authority

nkirkp
nkirkp
Community Member

My master password suddenly changed to a version that I use on another mac linked by dropbox. All very strange. Luckily the reminder worked and did not lose my entire vault.
This was very weird. Is there a security compromise? Is there a gremlin?
Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:master password changed unexpectdly

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nkirkp,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! I think I understand what happened, but let me make sure I understand the situation:

From your description, it sounds like you sync your 1Password data between two different Macs via Dropbox. Normally, if you sync a vault between multiple devices, the same master password should unlock it on each one. But somehow it sounds like you ended up using a different master password to unlock it on each Mac.

There are a couple different ways it may have ended up that way. For example, after changing the master password on one Mac, you would normally need to follow these steps to start using the new master password on the other Mac:

• Unlock 1Password on the other Mac with the old master password.
    • Allow Dropbox to complete the sync.
    • Lock 1Password (or allow it to lock itself).
    • Unlock 1Password with the new master password.

If you had never previously unlocked 1Password on the other Mac with the new master password, it would continue to work with the old one. But as soon as you tried unlocking it with the new master password, it would complete the change, and would continue to require the new one after that. This is all expected behavior, but I can see how it might be confusing if you wanted to use a different master password on each Mac.

Could that explain what happened? It may have happened in a slightly different way, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing to worry about because 1Password is designed to use the same master password on each device where you sync your data. If you have more questions about that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• nkirkp
    nkirkp
    Community Member

Thanks Drew
    You have it just about right - I was somehow using a different master password on the second Mac. How,I don't know! I will change them so that they both have the same master password and I am thoroughly reassured by your post.
    Thanks AgileBits - prompt, easy to follow and very helpful. I will tell my friends!!!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nkirkp

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! And thank you very much for your words :chuffed: I hope everything works well for you from now on with 1Password, but if there's anything else that we can do for you, you know where to find us ;)

This discussion has been closed.