Trouble saving new generated password

fixmacs
fixmacs
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Mac

I am a Mac professional consultant. I have lost clients because neither my clients nor I can figure out how to do very simple tasks with 1Password. First, when I created a new account and did the FILL using Password Generator, the 1Pass did not save the username. So, when Iry to log in, the username is missing from the 1Pass entry, although the password was saved correctly. When I click on EDIT to edit the entry in 1Pass it's impossible to add a new field for the missing Username field. So, i am now struggling to create a new 1Pass entry for the same log in and copying the password over to the new entry. I am sorry to be distraught but you need to know that i can't get 1Pass to work on my iPhone, either. So, I am very close to trashing this app and leaving it behind forever. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fixmacs,

I'm sorry you're having some difficulty with 1Password! But don't worry, I'm sure we can help to get this all sorted out.

First, when I created a new account and did the FILL using Password Generator, the 1Pass did not save the username.

[...]

When I click on EDIT to edit the entry in 1Pass it's impossible to add a new field for the missing Username field.

It sounds like you're describing a Password item, which is a type of item that only contains the generated password and the website you were viewing when you generated it. Each time you use the password generator to fill a password on a website, 1Password will automatically save it as a new Password item so you have a record of it in case you aren't prompted to save or update a Login item when you submit that web form. We have a bit more information about that here: If you generated a password that wasn't saved, or you can't sign in

So, i am now struggling to create a new 1Pass entry for the same log in and copying the password over to the new entry.

In order to have 1Password fill your username and password on a website's sign-in page, you'll need to save a Login item. Do you have an existing Login item for that website, or do you only have the Password item that was created when you generated it?

If you don't already have a Login item saved for a site, you should normally be prompted to save one the first time you sign into that site, as described here: Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

If you need to create a new Login item for that site but aren't automatically prompted to do so, you can follow these steps to save a new Login item for that site.

Or, if you already have an existing Login item for that site but it doesn't have the new password you generated, you can copy it from the Password item to the Login item.

Does this help at all? If you're still having trouble with that or if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.