How to stop using Dropbox sync and move vault (1Password 6)?

dnebannoS
dnebannoS
Community Member

Hi.

I want to stop using Dropbox to sync my passwords. While the syncing options are easy to find and switched off in the 1Password settings I'm not quite sure how to move the vault out of my Dropbox folder.
Can I just cut the *.opvault file and move it to another location? What about that ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" file in the Dropbox root? How do I point the 1Password app to that new location?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dnebannoS,

Thanks for contacting us with your questions! I'll be happy to help you out with this.

I want to stop using Dropbox to sync my passwords. While the syncing options are easy to find and switched off in the 1Password settings I'm not quite sure how to move the vault out of my Dropbox folder.
    Can I just cut the *.opvault file and move it to another location?

To stop syncing with Dropbox, you just need to open the 1Password app on your Mac, go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync, and change the sync setting for your vault to None. It sounds like you've already done that part.

When changing the sync setting to None, 1Password shows an option to "Delete data from Dropbox" before clicking the Disable Sync button. But if you missed that option, no need to worry - you can simply find the .opvault sync file in Dropbox and delete it (you don't need to keep a copy of it). That sync file is just a copy of your data which is used for syncing purposes - the data you see when you open the 1Password app is stored separately on your Mac and won't be affected by deleting the sync file from Dropbox.

What about that ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" file in the Dropbox root?

The .ws.agile.1Password.settings file was used by some older versions of 1Password in order to find the location of your sync file in Dropbox. It's not used by the latest versions, and if you're no longer going to sync with Dropbox then you wouldn't need it anyway. That file won't cause any problems, but feel free to delete it if you want to.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• dnebannoS
    dnebannoS
    Community Member

Hey @Drew_AG,

thanks for the detailed explanation. It helped me a lot. I didn't know the Dropbox file was only a copy of my data.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dnebannoS

On behalf of Drew, you're welcome! I'm sorry it wasn't more clear that the data in Dropbox is only a copy, but I think it's a good thing that you know it now! If you need help with anything else or have any other questions, we're always here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.