New York Times does not take login info

Options

For some time now, when I try to log in to the NY Times, the login info is not put into the popup dialog box. If I manually copy the account info, it logs in fine. But when I try to use the 1Password process to login, it merely sends a submit and goes back to the page. It seems to work if I happen to wind up at some other page (not sure how I get there) where the login is part of a regular web page. And most other sites seem to work pretty well, although occasionally there is a glitch.

1Password Version: 1Password 4 Version 4.4.3 (443000) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:new york times

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BigfootMN

I'm sorry that 1Password is not working with NYTimes webpage. We have a bug report for this site and we're working on it. We hope to have it figured out soon, meanwhile I'm sorry for the inconveniences that this might cause you :chuffed:

ref: OPX-934

• BigfootMN
    BigfootMN
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the followup. At least, I now know that I am not alone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for your patience while we work on this. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with a solution for you!

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

There are threads from 2015 where this behavior with the NYTimes is acknowledged as a bug. I am seeing the issue now in early 2017. Is there any chance it will be addressed (or maybe it can't)?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iphoneuser,

It's a tough one. We need to collect various details about any field on the page due to how many sites work but in doing so the site closes the form believing focus has been shifted elsewhere. If instead of trying to log in via the home page do you find 1Password works better if you directly visit https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login instead?

@BigfootMN, that link may help you as well.

It doesn't resolve the issue with the homepage for which there may not be a solution (I genuinely don't know) but hopefully the workaround means it isn't as annoying.

• BigfootMN
    BigfootMN
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that page on the Times works fine. When I go to the main page and click on the "Login" button, I haven't figured out why, sometimes it goes to that page and sometimes it goes to the popup. I have found that, if I put the cursor in the popup and hit return, it goes to the login page and then 1Password works as it should.

Thanks for the continued investigation.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I took a quick look at this page and it looks like we're getting an empty set of filling instructions back from 1Password for the nytimes.com homepage. We'll need to investigate this a little further to get to a solution. Since the instructions are empty, my guess is that the issue may be in our form filling library, which would mean we would need to wait on that fix to propagate through the apps once we have a fix in place. If it turns out to be in the extension itself, it could see a quicker turnaround.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

The direct login page works as expected and I have added it as a second website to the NYT 1Password entry (for "open and fill"). It is definitely something to do with the pop up sign in. 1P works for other, similar, login pages. Just to be sure I disabled all my extensions in Safari and saw the same behavior with the pop up sign in. El Cap latests and Safari 10.0.1. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iphoneuser,

Apologies if Jamie's message created any confusion. He definitely believes the issue is on our side and I've narrowed it down to two hidden password fields that are part of a hidden registration form. We look for certain behaviour to help identify when a site tries to do something tricky with password fields whereby they dynamically alter if clicked on or fields that change type. It's a shame we have to do this at all but many sites behave in ways that mean this level of analysis helps.

The bad news is on the NY Times homepage it interprets the click to mean it should discard the opened login form. This is always the tricky bit, finding how to get the balance just right so that we work on the weird sites. I don't mean NY Times is weird, more that they're a casualty of getting things to work on the plethora of weird sites. This isn't to say we won't try and think of something, more that we'll have to step carefully so we don't break filling in lots of places elsewhere.

• iphoneuser
    iphoneuser
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, thanks. I can handle the current (small) inconvenience. Of course, I can favorite the NYT cookie and hang onto my login session for quite awhile. In general, I think the NYT makes cool use of the modern web with some of their graphics and videos. Too bad they have to be "weird" with this simple task.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Agreed, @iphoneuser. We'll see how we can improve the situation. Thanks for your understanding. :)

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Has this problem been fixed? I'm using v6.7 in Firefox on a Mac (Sierra), and I can't get 1Password to work with the NY Times login setup.

• jasnw
    jasnw
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind my query. I finally found the correct login page for the NY Times and the username/password fields are being properly filled. The key is to ignore the "Login" button on the front page of the site. Poor site design.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It sounds like you were able to get things working with this login page: https://myaccount.nytimes.com/auth/login

I'm glad to hear it's working for you - thanks for following up to let us know! We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.