Set default login for hundreds of subdomains

Options
sandfox
sandfox
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm using a website which has hundreds of subdomains.
sub1.domain.com
sub2.domain.com
sub3.domain.com

Like many other websites, I can use all those subdomains with a single account. // MyAcoount

Except below subdomains
except1.domain.com // ExceptAccount1
except2.domain.com // ExceptAccount2

I tried below:
I registered 3 logins on 1Password client.
1. *.domain.com // MyAccount
2. except1.domain.com // ExceptAccount1
3. except2.domain.com // ExceptAccount2

When I press cmd + \, it works very well for except1.domain.com, except2.domain.com.
1Password mini doesn't prompt any windows.

However, when I press cmd + \ on sub1.domain.com, 1Password mini prompt window to choose the account.
I tried *.domain.com, domain.com, but it was same.

In this case, how can I set default login for all subx.domain.com?
I don't want to see any prompt windows for subx.domain.com.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:subdomain

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@sandfox: I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to do, but since you're dealing with subdomains I wonder if it's a matching issue. Have you tried 1Password Preferences > Browsers > Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites? 1Password doesn't support "wildcard" URLs, but it does allow for multiple URLs per item and less-strict matching. Let me know if that helps! :)

• sandfox
    sandfox
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@brenty Sorry for unclearness.
    I tried both options for Allow filling on ... (checked, unchecked), but it was same.
    Let me explain my problem more detail.

1-1. There is a website which has a lot of subdomains.
    sub1.domain.com
    sub2.domain.com
    aaa.domain.com
    bbb.domain.com

2-1. Register a single login of domain.com on 1Password.

2-2. It works very very well for all subdomains. Press cmd + \, no prompt windows, and I'm happy.

3-1. Now I have second account only for some.domain.com, so I register second account on 1Password.

3-2. Now my 1Password looks like this.

3-3. It works very well for some.domain.com. No prompt window. I'm still happy.
    3-4. But all the other subdomains like sub1.domain.com, suddenly prompt window pops up when I press cmd + \ like below.

3-5. Now I'm unhappy.

4-1. To resolve this problem, I have to register all the subdomains manually on 1Password.

4-2. It works well only for subdomains that I registered manually on 1Password. But if I enter new subdomain like newly.domain.com, then prompt window pops again.
    4-3. Of course I can add new row on 1Password manually whenever I enter new subdomain, but it's true that it is tiresome.
    4-4. That why I'm looking for a way to set default login for all the subdomains of domain.com.

I hope this explanation can help you to understand my problem. :)

-- please understand my poor english writing, it's not my mother tongue. :'(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sandfox: First of all, it isn't your English at fault, and it (hopefully) isn't my comprehension either. We've had a lot of discussions about URL matching over the years, and even amongst native English speakers from the same region it's just confusing! So more than anything else, I know what it's like, and I'm sorry that you've had this trouble in the first place and had to try to communicate this in any language! :dizzy:

I may still be misunderstanding, so I apologize if I am. But it seems like the issue you're running into is that you've specified full subdomain URLs for a login you actually want to use for an entire TLD. For example, if you delete the URLs in the login you showed above (sub1.domain.com, etc.) and add domain.com instead, this will work for each of the subdomain URLs you added manually, but without all of that extra work of adding them one at a time.

However, if you're jumping through all of these hoops just to try to avoid having 1Password show you the login menu with a list of logins you have saved for the domain, this is not possible. 1Password will show the list when there's more than one for a given domain. There just isn't any way around that. I'm sorry if this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but perhaps we'll be able to find a better solution in the future — provided it doesn't make things more confusingly complex! :blush:

• jr2315323
    jr2315323
    Community Member
    Options

Until a recent update, 1password for Mac most certain DID work with wildcards in the URL: https://[*].whatever.com to match any subsite. For example, https://one.whatever.com, https://two.whatever.com

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jr2315323,

Sorry but I'm pretty sure we've never had wildcard support in URLs. 1Password will favour a direct match but if not will open it up to any Login item for the same domain regardless of any subdomain. This has been the behaviour since at least 1Password 4 for Mac and it's an area of code that hasn't been altered much since then to the best of my knowledge. I don't mind being proven wrong but I will be extremely surprised to be pointed to a recent version that can be shown to support wildcards.

If when asked to fill the current page there is a single Login item that fully matches the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) 1Password will not display the 1Password mini menu, it simply fills. If there is not a complete match to the FQDN we strip away any subdomains and look at just the registered domain name and TLD or SLD where applicable. If there is only a single match we will again fill without any further user interaction.

In either of those checks, if more than one item matches we will display the 1Password mini menu. The only exception is if the setting Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites is enabled. This setting essentially throws away that first check for a precise match any only looks at the registered domain and TLD or SLD.

@sandfox, unfortunately there isn't a way to achieve what you want. I'm fully understanding your goal but there is currently no trick to get 1Password to do what you want it to. As soon as you add that second Login item, any FQDN that isn't explicitly referenced will cause both to display because the registered domain name and TLD or SLD is the best 1Password can match and when it does both examples are equal matches. The closest I can think of is if you hid the second Login item so it wasn't visible in 1Password mini 1Password wouldn't consider it a match but it would mean the only way to use this second item would be via open and fill from the main window. Technically this should work but it's an ugly workaround.

This discussion has been closed.