QSilver
QSilver
Community Member

Here are the devices and OS & 1Password versions:

• MacBook Pro / OS X 10.9.5 / 4.4.3
  • Dell Latitude / Win 7 Pro SP1 / 4.6.0.604
  • iPhone 5S / iOS 9.3.5 / 6.4.4
  • syncing via Dropbox

These 3 devices are no longer in sync. Dropbox appears to be working normally when syncing other files. It seems like the Win laptop and iPhone have the same sync but they are different from the MBP. The MBP has the newest items & updates. For example, one website account password was updated on 5/26/16. The MBP has the correct password, while the Dell and iPhone have an older password from 11/2015.

When changes are made to 1P items on the MBP and saved, they appear to sync because the Dropbox icon in the menubar shows activity.

I had an issue ~2 weeks ago where the iPhone was not syncing to Dropbox; however, after re-establishing the sync, it worked fine until a couple of days ago.

I found this posting in the forums that seems similar to the issue I'm having: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68422/dropbox-sync-troubleshooting#latest. It's not quite the same issue because I have a Windows machine in the mix.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @QSilver

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble syncing 1Password. The first thing that I would like you to do to help us figure out what's going on is to follow the steps on this troubleshooting guide. This will go through the basic points where Dropbox Sync can fail and will also guide you through some testing that we need done in case those tricks don't do the trick.

Please let us know what you find out after following this guide so we can take it from there :chuffed:

• QSilver
    QSilver
    Community Member

Let's run through the list in the troubleshooting guide:

1. Upgrade OS X: The MBP is on 10.9.5. It's an early-2011 MBP, and I've found that it's rather slow on anything newer than 10.9.5.
    2. Update iOS: Using iOS 9.3.5 on the iPhone.
    3. Update PC: It's a work computer and I don't control updates/upgrades.
    4. Update Android: N/A
    5. Update 1P for Mac: On current version for Mavericks.
    6. Update 1P for iPhone: On current version.
    7. Update 1P for Win: Using version 4.6.0.604.
    8. Update 1P for Android: N/A
    9. Update Dropbox: On current versions.
    10. Dropbox finished syncing: Yes.
    11. Dropbox not paused: Not paused.
    12. Dropbox Sync on Windows: 1P's preferences shows the vault is C:\Users\me\Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain.
    13. Dropbox Sync in iOS: Disabled sync. Force-quit app. Re-started app. Re-enabled sync. Waited for sync to complete.

Both iOS and Windows devices continue to have the [same] wrong password, for at least the site/account mentioned in original post.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional details, @QSilver!

It sounds like 1Password is syncing correctly between your iPhone and your Windows PC, but just to be sure, please double-check this settings on your iPhone:

• On your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • Make sure it shows the Sync Service is Dropbox.
    • Tap "Sync Service" and check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox).

You said the path to the Agile Keychain in Dropbox on Windows is \Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain, so the path shown on your iPhone should be /1Password.agilekeychain. If for some reason it shows something different than that, please let us know.

Next, please check the sync settings for 1Password on your Mac:

• On your Mac, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the Sync tab and make sure Dropbox is selected.
    • Assuming Dropbox is selected, check the file name and file path for the sync file.

Please let us know what you find in the sync settings on your Mac. Thanks! :)

• QSilver
    QSilver
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I can confirm that the path on my iPhone is /1Password.agilekeychain .

On the MBP is where things get interesting. In ~/Dropbox, I have a 1Password folder and a 1Password.agilekeychain . The 1Password folder has another 1Password.agilekeychain file in it.

To be clear, the MBP has:

• ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain, which is 858KB and dated 8/16/16. This is what shows in Preferences in 1P for Mac.
    • ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain, which is 10.4MB and dated 9/7/16.

What's odd about both of those date-stamps is that I added a website about an hour ago to 1P via the Firefox extension (v4.5.9). I can confirm that Firefox can log back in to that site. I also made a change to the login item in 1P for Mac, saw the Dropbox icon spin update saving...but no change to the date-/time-stamps of the two files listed above.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @QSilver!

If you have two different Agile Keychain files in Dropbox, my guess is that your Mac syncs with one, and your iPhone and Windows PC sync with the other. You didn't say which one is listed in 1Password > Preferences > Sync on your Mac, but assuming it's syncing with ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain, you simply need to disable sync in 1Password for Mac, then re-enable it and choose ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain. You can follow these steps:

• On your Mac, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Click Change Syncing, then click Disable Sync (you can leave "Delete data from Dropbox" unchecked).
    • Choose Dropbox in the sync settings, then click the Choose button and select ~/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing.

Regarding the modified date of those Agile Keychain files: An Agile Keychain is actually a package file / bundle which is made up of hundreds of smaller files. The modified date for the Agile Keychain does not necessarily reflect changes made to the contents inside the package, so what you're seeing is normal.

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• QSilver
    QSilver
    Community Member

Thanks for the response, @Drew_AG. Simple follow-up question before I do that: I think what's on the Mac is the "canonical" version. Will Merge with Existing ensure that that the most recent changes are kept and synced to the PC and iPhone?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@QSilver: Merging will, of course, merge all data from both sources. There is technically no "canonical" source when you're syncing; all devices are clients. However, if you know that the data on the Mac is the one you want, it seems like the best thing to do would be to start over on the other devices and sync that data to each of them. Does that make sense? Let me know what you think!

This discussion has been closed.