Windows 10 - Browsers extensions

Options
benbruneteau
benbruneteau
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,

I've just moved from 1password 4 to the home built 1password 6, getting rid of Dropbox sync.
Everything looked good until I installed browsers extensions, I precise I'm running on Windows 10
The browsers keep asking me for the 1password helper, which I ticked at some point in the app to see what would be the effect : a complete mess.
I finally figured out the actual 1Password6 can't handle browsers extensions with Windows 10.

And I'm sorry to say it, but on a customer experience side, this is [Inappropriate language removed by moderator] and I'm highly unhappy.
If you knew perfectly that it's not compatible, why isnt written anywhere in RED on the website apart the forum ?
I wouldnt have done the upgrade !

So now, what do I do ?
I can't use one of the core functionnality of 1password, and I can't roll back to 1Password4 because I've delete all as specified in your migration document.

I had paid for 1Password 4, and will turn to an other solution if I can't use browsers extensions.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benbruneteau: I'm sorry for the trouble you're having! In fact, 1Password 6 does support filling in Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Brave, and a few alternative browsers on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. So we'll have to figure out what's causing it to not work on your machine. Do you have "security" software that may be interfering with 1Password's ability to communicate with the browser? Please try disabling it and other extensions temporarily to see if that helps. You may need to set an exception for 1Password. Perhaps you did that with the previous version of 1Password, and that's what allowed it to work. So, similarly, setting it up for the new app would help. Let me know what you find! :)

• benbruneteau
    benbruneteau
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @brenty
    Sorry for the way I wrote the message, but I was very angry.

I still have the issue, and there is nothing which could block such behavior.
    I'm trying on a different computer (PRO) and I have the same issue.
    I precise 1Password6 is not installed on this computer, and I had the same error regarding 1password helper.

So I tried to install 1Password6 and here comes a new issue : I can't install it because it says it requires .NET framework version v4.6.1...
    I download it, when it comes to install it.. I already have it !

So I don't know what to do at the minute to get the browsers extensions working on my personnal PC and PRO.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benbruneteau: No worries! My only concern is that this is a public forum, so we want to keep it friendly for everyone who visits. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be though. :(

Also, it's "good" to know that you were having a similar issue prior to 1Password 6. That certainly makes more sense.

Regarding the installation, some folks seem to be getting redirected to the wrong version of .Net on Microsoft's site when following the download link. You'll need #49982 (.Net 4.6.1):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49982

If you're still getting redirected to another ID, try this direct link to the file (which may or may not work, if Microsoft changes it):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/5/9/35980F81-60F4-4DE3-88FC-8F962B97253B/NDP461-KB3102438-Web.exe

So that should allow you to install it at least. Then make sure that you also have the latest 1Password extension installed:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Next, unlock 1Password and try using the extension in your browser. Hopefully it works, but if not, we can get some more information about what's going wrong. At this point, the best thing to do will be to restart your PC, reproduce the same issue, and then generate diagnostic information so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

1. Open the main 1Password app
    2. Click in the search field
    3. Type the following and press Enter: /log/save
    4. Save the log file
    5. Send it to support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track it down. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• benbruneteau
    benbruneteau
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty

Thanks for the tip for Microsoft .net, it worked, I could install 1Password6 on my other PC.

Then I have fundamental issues/questions :

• Everytime I click on the browser extension icon, it opens a new page running 1password .exe, which must be opened and unlocked.
      Is it correct that from now, the .exe on my laptops must runs and be unlocked to be able to use the browsers extensions ? Before I didn't need anything to be unlocked,except dropbox to be running.

• I'm not able to see the full list of logins from the browser extensions, it's empty.
      I only see something when I go by myself to the account I want access. Eg : I go to linkedin.com > the line appears on the extension, then I can login.
      Is it a bug ? How can see the whole list of all my logins ?

• When I register to new website, 1Password is not reacting at all, nothing happens.

• I can't copy anymore the password of a login from the browser extension
    • I don't see anything like before to help me to generate strong passwords.

Thank you for your help !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the tip for Microsoft .net, it worked, I could install 1Password6 on my other PC.

@benbruneteau: Great! I'm glad that helped! :)

Everytime I click on the browser extension icon, it opens a new page running 1password .exe, which must be opened and unlocked. Is it correct that from now, the .exe on my laptops must runs and be unlocked to be able to use the browsers extensions ? Before I didn't need anything to be unlocked,except dropbox to be running.

Even in previous versions 1Password needed to be running and unlocked. Otherwise the data in your vault was inaccessible for filling. However, 1Password ran in the background and in the notification area, so perhaps this was less noticeable. We've started adding this functionality as well in the beta, so you can have the app start with Windows and minimize to the notification area (under Settings > Options).

I'm not able to see the full list of logins from the browser extensions, it's empty. I only see something when I go by myself to the account I want access. Eg : I go to linkedin.com > the line appears on the extension, then I can login. Is it a bug ? How can see the whole list of all my logins ?

You can use the search box at the top, or access your entire vault in the main 1Password app.

When I register to new website, 1Password is not reacting at all, nothing happens.

I'm sorry for the confusion. The new app does not yet support autosave. This will be added in an update.

I can't copy anymore the password of a login from the browser extension

If you right-click the item, you can copy specific information from its details

I don't see anything like before to help me to generate strong passwords.

The password generator is not available in the browser yet, but you can generate a password when creating/editing a login in the main app. I hope this helps!

• benbruneteau
    benbruneteau
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @brenty

You can use the search box at the top, or access your entire vault in the main 1Password app.

This doesn't work, whatever I type.

It doesn't work neither, so I have to go in the app to copy the details.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This doesn't work, whatever I type.

@benbruneteau: This will search logins matching the current URL. So if you're at Google and have a long list of logins like I do, you can narrow it down this way. It will not show logins for other sites, though as I mentioned you can find everything in the main 1Password app. Additionally, if you click the notification icon or press Ctrl Alt \ outside of the browser to bring up 1Password mini, you can search through all logins (since there is no URL at this time).

It doesn't work neither, so I have to go in the app to copy the details.

Are you perhaps running an old beta? This was added just within the last few days. If you click on the settings icon, what is the version number? This is what I'm describing:

Are you seeing something different?

This discussion has been closed.