Browser Extensions in Chrome - auto submit not working

bendegen
bendegen
Community Member

I am using Version 52.0.2743.116 (64-bit) of Chrome on Mac OS 10.11.6. Over the last few days, I have received the following error message:

The operation couldn't be completed. /Users/bendegen/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com/agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/1Password_Autosubmit.scpt:140:156: execution error: System Events got an error: AppleEvent timed out. (-1712)

I've reinstalled the browser extensions for Chrome, even though they are the same version (4.5.9.90), but the error appears again. It appears any time I visit a website and after entering the username and password from 1Password, the auto submit feature doesn't work and after a minute or so, I receive the error. I did update from Mac OS 10.11.2 to 10.11.6 a few days ago as well.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 6.3.2 (632000)
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bendegen,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the auto-submit feature!

The latest stable version of Chrome is currently 53.0.2785.101, so the first thing you should do is install that update to see if it helps. Just go to Chrome > About Google Chrome in the menu, and the window that opens should check for / download the update. When it's ready, it will ask you to relaunch Chrome to complete the update - just click the button to do that. After Chrome restarts, try using the 1Password extension again. Does the same problem happen?

If you still get the error message, can you please confirm if you're using the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store version of 1Password on your Mac? Thanks!

• bendegen
    bendegen
    Community Member

Drew_AG,

Thank you for your thoughts. After updating Chrome to the version you indicated, I receive the same error. I am using the Mac App Store version.

Thank you,
    Ben

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bendegen,

Thanks for trying that! It sounds like OS X is having trouble with the auto-submit script which is installed by the Mac App Store version of 1Password. It's a very simple script which simulates pressing the 'Enter' key when the 1Password extension fills your login information on a website.

You can try deleting the auto-submit script to see if that solves the problem. Even without that script, 1Password should still be able to automatically submit sign-in forms on many (if not all) of the sites where you have logins. Here are the steps to remove that script:

1. Close all browsers and 1Password.
    2. In the Finder, go to the following folder: ~/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper
    3. Delete the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt file.
    4. Reboot your Mac.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Cheers!

• bendegen
    bendegen
    Community Member

Drew_AG,

Thank you for the update. The error is gone, but the auto submit doesn't work. Is there any way to re enable that feature - maybe the original file was corrupted?

Thank you,
    Ben

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bendegen,

Glad to hear the error message has stopped appearing! That's at least a step in the right direction. Now let's try getting auto-submit working again. Can you please try these steps:

1. Open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu.
    2. Select the Browsers tab and disable ​​the "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords option (it may already be disabled).
    3. While holding the control key on your keyboard, go to 1Password > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the menubar.
    4. In the Finder, go to the following folder: ~/Library/Application Scripts/
    5. Delete the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder (if it still exists).
    6. Open 1Password, go back to Preferences > Browsers, and re-enable "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords".

At this point, it should take you through steps to reinstall the script. Please let us know how it all goes. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.