Unable to login after reboot

btschumy
btschumy
Community Member

I'm not sure my issue is being caused by 1Password, but it is suspicious. Several days ago (possibly after the last Mac OS update), I was no longer able to start 1Password. It would display a message about trying to contact "1Password mini" (or something like that) and then timeout and not start.

Yesterday, I decided to reboot the Mac to see if that would clear the problem. When I try to login to my account I get a spinning busy cursor and the login screen never goes away.

I have booted into recovery mode and run the Disk Utility diagnostics and repair. No problems were found there.

I did a complete restore from backup but that didn't help with the issue.

I thought that perhaps it was the attempt to load the 1Password startup item that was causing the hang, similar to the hang when trying to connect with 1Password mini. So I've booted into safe mode which should prevent loading of startup items, Still hangs - no joy.

As I said, this may be totally unrelated to 1Password, but it does seem suspicious. Does 1Password load anything during the login process that is not blocked by Safe Boot? If so, how do I disable it?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @btschumy ,

1Password is actually composed of two parts. The main application, and 1Password mini. 1Password mini is the little menu bar icon you see on the right side of the menu bar when it is running. It also does most of the heavy lifting. The main app is merely an editor of the data and preferences.

So something seems to have happened and OS X is refusing to or can not launch 1Password mini. We have a web page on tips of resolving this issue here: https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/

If that doesn't help, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• btschumy
    btschumy
    Community Member

Kevin,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately without being able to log into my account, I'm limited in what I can do. I tried boring into single user mode to run the "attr" command your link refers to. However the file system appears to be mounted read only in single user mode. The command just spits out a long list of errors about the read-only filesystem.

I don't see how I can send a diagnostic report if I can't get logged in. My account is the only account on the computer so I can't login in as Guest to do anything.

• btschumy
    btschumy
    Community Member

I was able to figure out how to mount the filesystem read/write while in single user mode. I ran the "xattr" command and rebooted. Sill unable to get into my account.

As I said, this may not be at all related to one password. If I wanted to totally remove 1Password while in single user mode, what files do I need to delete? 1Password.app for sure but are there any extension files elsewhere?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @btschumy,

When you said you could not login to your account, Kevin may have thought you meant you were unable to unlock 1Password on your Mac as it gave an error message instead. But it sounds like maybe you aren't able to fully start your Mac because it gets stuck when you try logging into your Mac OS user account? If so, I'm very sorry for the confusion/misunderstanding.

The error message you described getting when trying to launch 1Password is actually a relatively common one, and it can happen for the reasons described in the article Kevin sent you. I've helped lots of customers with that issue, but I've never heard of it having anything to do with a problem rebooting the Mac. The two things shouldn't have anything to do with each other so I think it must be a coincidence. But if you'd like to try removing 1Password from your Mac, we can certainly help you with that:

If you're able to mount the filesystem, all you should need to do is go to the Applications folder and delete the 1Password app file (it includes both the main app as well as 1Password mini). Your 1Password data is stored elsewhere on the Mac, so it's ok to delete the app - doing that won't delete your data. If you have any extra copies of the 1Password app on that Mac (for example, in Downloads or on the Desktop) you should delete those too. Just be sure that you only delete it if it's a .app bundle - otherwise it might be the folder containing your 1Password data, and you don't want to delete that.

Again, I don't think deleting the app will help with the problem booting your Mac because they should be unrelated, but it's certainly worth a shot if you don't know what else is causing that. Please let us know how it all goes, I really hope you're able to get your Mac working normally again!

• btschumy
    btschumy
    Community Member

Thanks, I've deleted all references to 1Password that I could find, both the app and various pieces in ~/Library. Still can't login to the Mac. It does appear this is not a 1Password problem. Thanks for trying to help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear that didn't help, @btschumy! It sounds like you may need to contact Apple for help to solve that problem. Not being able to boot your Mac normally can be an extremely frustrating experience, and I really hope you're able to get that all sorted out. Once you do, if you need help with 1Password, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.