New Items not shown when synchronizing folders between Windows and Mac

schmidolivier
schmidolivier
Community Member

Hi,

I am a happy user of 1Password mac and Windows. But I am having a small problem with synchronization

I am syncing folders manually using my local network. The main database is on my mac and is the base for syncing to ios devices via Wifi and tho my other computer (windows).
Whenever I do create new elements on my Windows, I copy the vault from the windows computer to the folder sync on my mac, verify that the elements appear on the mac. This works like a charm.

I usually create new elements on my mac and then replace the whole Vault sitting on my windows computer (after doing the steps described above). I noticed that since a few weeks (can't tell exactly) new elements created on the mac do not appear in the windows version.

I have found a workaround in the way that I edit the element in 1Password on the mac (change an information or set it as a favorite), and after syncing the file again to the windows computer the new element appear.

So resuming new elements created on 1password mac and synced via folder sync to a windows computer don't appear at first time. Only after editing the record again it appears.

I am using 1password 4 (ver 4.6.0.604) on Windows 7 and 1Password for Mac (10.10.5) ver 6.3.2 (632001). OPVault format is used for file sync.

Thank you for your time

Regards

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Folder sync

Comments

• Hi @schmidolivier,

I'm running near identical versions of everything here (I'm on 4.6.0.BETA-613 of 1Password 4, on Windows 7, and I'm on an internal build of 1Password for Mac that's based on 6.3.2 but whose changes aren't related to sync at all). I've verified that upon creation of items 1Password for Mac initiates a sync, and pushes the newly created items out to the OPVault file (I've manually inspected my OPVault file). The same happens when editing an item. I'm not seeing anything materially different about the items in the OPVault file between being new and new+updated. I've moved that OPVault file over to my Windows test machine, and opened it in 1Password for Windows, and I'm able to see both the new items and the new+updated items.

Could you tell me more about where you're syncing the OPVault file to? Is it a network drive?

Could you open up Console.app from /Applications/Utilities and search for "2BU" in the upper right hand corner of the window. This will filter what we see there to be from 1Password mini. When you add or edit an item, we should see mini declare that it's syncing. For example here's what I see here:

2016-09-08 9:59:22.644 AM 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[10898]: 632001 [SYNC:(Secondary Thread 0x7feaabee14b0):<OPCloudKeychainSyncer (/Users/rfillion/Dropbox/1Password/opvault-new-item-tests/1Password.opvault) 0x7feaae86ac70>] S main | > Sync started
    2016-09-08 9:59:22.818 AM 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[10898]: 632001 [SYNC:(Secondary Thread 0x7feaabee14b0):<OPCloudKeychainSyncer (/Users/rfillion/Dropbox/1Password/opvault-new-item-tests/1Password.opvault) 0x7feaae86ac70>] S main | < Sync finished

I'm confident that we can figure out what's going on here.

Rick

• schmidolivier
    schmidolivier
    Community Member

Hello,
    Thank you for the reply.

To answer to your question i sync to an smb share on my windows machine. The file is then used by 1password as the vault file.

I just tested again. I restarted my laptop after posting the first message and I could not reproduce the initial problem I had.

Now elements I add in the mac version show up in the windows version without problem

I have to confess i do not remember when was the last time i restarted the system.

But there is still something that is puzzling me.

As said I copy the whole OPVault to my windows machine (via smb share hosted on destination) and this OPVault is the file used by 1Password for windows.

When I open it i still have small differences. They must have appeared when the problem occured. I now have 2 favorites in the windows Vault that don't appear in the mac even when i sync the vault back to the mac. (I attached 2 screen captures, although they won't tell you much...)

These must be remnants of a faulty sync. My question is now does 1password for windows use some sort of cache file that i could clear to resolve the issue?

Regards

Olivier

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@schmidolivier: Thanks for following up. I'm really sorry for the trouble here! In general we don't recommend using a network share since even a temporary connection problem when 1Password is trying to read or write to the vault can cause issues like the "faulty sync" you describe, and the last thing any of us wants is data loss.

However, based on your description, I think you may be (also?) running into a known issue with 1Password for Windows not reading or writing "legacy" data which predates the app. 1Password for Mac has a longer history than the Windows app where it originally supported only AgileKeychain with a more limited data structure, and then later it was updated to support custom sections and fields in both AgileKeychain and OPVault. 1Password for Windows, however, uses only the newer "custom" data when it is present, so the legacy data will be ignored. And in the case of OPVault, it was implemented in 1Password for Windows only recently, so it simply doesn't support any of the legacy data.

1Password for Windows, unlike 1Password for Mac, does not use an internal database or caching; it works directly with the vault on disk. Please try this: In 1Password for Windows, go to File > Repair 1Password Vault. It may tell you the vault itself was repaired, or that there was nothing wrong with the database. Then in 1Password for Mac, go to Help > Tools > Optimize Database. This will only impact the internal database (which the Windows app does not have), and it will tell you how many items were optimized — possibly zero.

Can you tell me where you created the OPVault originally, on the Mac or PC? If you make a minor change to the "missing" items on the PC, do they show up on the Mac? Let me know what you find!

• schmidolivier
    schmidolivier
    Community Member

Hi.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I executed all the steps, the program on windows or mac did not find any issues.
    To answer the question when doing a minor modification to the items on windows they then show up in the mac with all correct atributes (here also with the favorite flag)
    I am using 1Password since version 3, OPVault was created on the mac when it became available.

I do not folder sync directly on the network share from the mac. I always lock the vault and then copy the vault to the network share on the pc. I would not like to use an online sync for now. So if you have better ideas or recommendations.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @schmidolivier,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you! This is a rather odd problem and I'm not sure why the sync isn't always working properly. But after reading through the messages here, I think I might be a little confused about the current state of things, so I'm hoping you can help to clear that up:

Originally, the problem was that items you created or edited on your Mac were not always syncing to Windows. If you re-edited that item or marked it as a favorite, then it synced correctly. Later, you said you were no longer able to reproduce that problem. Are new items and edits still syncing correctly between your Mac and Windows PC?

The other problem you noticed was that two items marked as Favorites on Windows were not showing up as Favorites on your Mac. In your latest message, it sounds like you solved that problem as well:

...when doing a minor modification to the items on windows they then show up in the mac with all correct atributes (here also with the favorite flag)

Just to make sure I understand, are all the items marked as Favorites on Windows now also marked as Favorites on your Mac? If so, and if you mark another item as a Favorite on one computer, does that sync to the other computer? Or are you still able to reproduce the same problem?

I'm hoping that things are working correctly now, but if you can still reproduce the sync issues, please let us know and we'll be happy to investigate further. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.