Feature Request: Links

jdehnert
jdehnert
Community Member

As a Linux System Administrator I have several items that are logically associated. I'm trying to avoid creating too many tags because I have discovered that with too many I forget what tags I have. It looks like I have around 100 or so currently.

One thing that I would like to see is the ability to create links between similar or associated items. For instance, I have over a dozen servers running MySQL databases. On each server I have a root password, usually a few passwords to connect applications to databases, a database administrative password, application admin and client passwords, etc. I'd love it if I could create hierarchical links between these entries so that if I bring up a server, I can see that it runs say 3 applications. If I click on an application password I can see links to my other accounts for that same application, and to the database that supports the app and etc.

Folders were good for this to an extent, but I' don't like having to dig through lots of folders, and folders don't always allow for some kinds of links to work with others.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
James "Zeke" Dehnert

--
-= Eschew Obfuscation =-
"Life is racing. Everything else is just waiting"

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hi @jdehnert ,

Thanks for writing in with your request! So in essence, you'd like to reference other items from a single item. We do currently do have that feature if you have a 1Password Account (for Individual people, Families, or Teams). More information on accounts is available here: https://1password.com - but basically in any item you can link one or more "related" items, label the link how you choose, and click on them to go to that item.

That feature currently is not available in traditional standalone vaults. (Ones that aren't part of an account).

Cheers,
    Kevin

• jdehnert
    jdehnert
    Community Member

Tanks for the info Kevin,

I have been using the 1Password app on my Mac for years now. I recently purchased the 1Password for Families to extend access to the rest of my family and to create a Family vault with items that we all might need access to, or info on.

I have run into some confusion as to where one ends and the other begins. My impression is that if I use the web interface I am using 1Password for Families and when I use the 1Pasword app on my mac I an using the standalone 1Password app, even though I can see all the vaults in either interface.

Is that the case? I cannot find how to add a link when I open my 1Password app, and thats all I have to go on at the moment.

Thanks,
    James "Zeke" Dehnert

--
    -= Eschew Obfuscation =-
    "Life is racing. Everything else is just waiting"

• Hi @jdehnert ,

I believe I can explain it to you. When you added your account credentials to the 1Password app, it automatically syncs the vaults into the app. When you log in via the web, you also have access to those vaults.

Now, you may also have some standalone vaults. These would have been vaults you used before getting the Families account. Those vaults (if you still have them, you may have removed them when getting families) are standalone and are not automatically synced to your account. You may have them set to sync to Dropbox or iCloud.

So, how do you know if a vault is "standalone" or part of your Families account? Click the Vault menu in the upper left corner of the 1Password window. You will see "All Vaults" which will show items from all of your vaults, then it will list "standalone" vaults (for example, if you see "Primary" that is a standalone vault), and then you should see the name of your Families account, followed by Personal, Shared, and maybe others. Those vaults are part of your Families account.

If the vault menu does not show any vaults (other than All Vaults) above the Families account name, then you have no more standalone vaults. All the vaults you see there are part of your account.

Now, how to link items together. I've attached a screenshot, but basically, edit an item, scroll down and look for the "Link Existing" button. Click that and you can add a link to other items to this item. Once you have done that, save the item, and then you can just click on it to go to the other item.

I hope this helps. Please reply if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.