Is there a way to force 1Password for Mac to sync with iCloud?

douglas
douglas
Community Member

1Password for iOS syncs with iCloud when the app launches and also has a button in settings to force a sync. As far as I can tell, 1Password for Mac does neither of these. If I add or edit an item on another device and want it on my Mac is the only option to wait a few minutes?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.2 (632001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: 10.11.6 (15G1004)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @douglas,

Thanks for writing in to ask about this!

Although 1Password for iOS has a Sync Now button when syncing via iCloud, it doesn't really need it. The reason that button is there in the iOS version is basically because it's also there when syncing via Dropbox or WLAN - however, it's no longer really necessary for those sync options to have it, either. The Sync Now button is more or less a leftover feature from older versions. Technically, that button still works, but it isn't needed because sync happens automatically on a regular/frequent basis.

A sync is triggered in 1Password when you launch/unlock it, change items (add, edit, delete), or switch vaults. If iCloud is used to sync your data, a sync is also triggered when CloudKit tells 1Password that changes are available (i.e. if you make a change from another device). So a change you make on another device should normally sync to your Mac fairly quickly.

There are other factors involved though, such as the speed of the internet connection on the other device and on your Mac, the speed at which iCloud syncs your data between devices, how quickly CloudKit notifies 1Password of the updated info, etc. If you add/edit an item on another device and it doesn't appear in 1Password for Mac right away, a Sync Now button wouldn't necessarily help. But instead of waiting, you can always simply lock and unlock 1Password on your Mac to trigger a sync.

Do changes on other devices typically take a long time to sync to 1Password on your Mac?

• douglas
    douglas
    Community Member

Thanks for the details @Drew_AG. That’s what I was looking for. I’ll let you know if I notice sync taking a long time.

I just did a test and it took about a minute for a change made on my iPad to appear on my Mac. I’m using 1P for Mac from your store (not Mac App Store). Maybe this is just how long CloudKit takes to notify.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @douglas

On behalf of Drew, you're welcome! Thank you for doing some testing, did locking and unlocking 1Password helped at all? :chuffed:

• douglas
    douglas
    Community Member

It’s a bit hard to tell but I think locking and unlocking helped, although maybe by doing that it’s had enough time to sync again anyway. The syncing isn’t instant but it seems to be working fast enough.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, in my experience it's generally pretty fast, but I've definitely noticed some delay from time to time. Unfortunately individual apps don't have control over (or really any information about) this since it's handled by the OS, but it has improved a lot over the past few years. :)

This discussion has been closed.