Dropbox now storing OSX admin password!!!! Dropbox alternative sync?

EuroTrash
EuroTrash
Community Member

A client informed me that Dropbox surreptitiously stores your OSX admin password and uses it to alter your security preferences w/o notice.
http://applehelpwriter.com/2016/07/28/revealing-dropboxs-dirty-little-security-hack/
This is totally unacceptable. We need an alternative sync service. Does 1password work with Cubby, SugarSync or another sync service for IOS sync?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@EuroTrash You can sync via iCloud or get the new 1Password Account setup.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

This link might start ringing some bells among the security-minded.

applehelpwriter.com/2016/08/29/discovering-how-dropbox-hacks-your-mac/

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @EuroTrash

If you want to sync your data between a Mac and iOS device you have 3 more options other than Dropbox, as @vplewis noticed :chuffed: First, you can go for iCloud sync, it's very easy to set up however it can only sync one your Primary vault. If you only use one vault it's a very good option! Second, you can go for Wi-Fi sync. If you're a bit weary about clouds in general this is the syncing option for you! It can only be done between one desktop and one mobile device but it sounds like this is your setup! It takes a little bit more work than iCloud but not too much. Finally, you can get a 1Password account. In this case your data is stored on our servers and available on all your devices as well as directly on any browser with no extra effort, you can try it for free for the first 6 months!

If you have any questions about any of these syncing techniques, or there's anything else that you'd like to know about it, please let us know and we'll help you :chuffed:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

This is the response from one of the Dropbox developers to this: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12464730

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @XIII! :)

• JKT
    JKT
    Community Member

Hi, given that Dropbox has demonstrated that it simply can't be trusted with the privacy and security of our data on our Macs, is there any news on alternatives being implemented such as Box.com, which is preferred by many businesses (including our own) over Dropbox? Other developers appear to be able to integrate Box into their apps (e.g. Google+). However, I appreciate it may not be quite as easy as it may seem, particularly where synching is involved. Have Agile looked into expanding their sync methods?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JKT

Thank you for writing in and letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password. Right now we have several syncing methods in place: Dropbox, iCloud, an Account with us, Wi-Fi and even folder. The last one basically lets you pick any method out there to sync your data, of course this means some extra work on your side of things but it's there. Right now we don't have any concrete plans to add more syncing options, however nothing's ever completely out of the table and everything could happen with 1Password :chuffed:

• justme12
    justme12
    Community Member

Apple fixed this issue with the new OS - Sierra.

I still will not use Dropbox any longer. I didn't reinstall Dropbox when I wiped and installed Sierra on my computers. Always do fresh installs with OS updates.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @justme12

That's why we have several options, so you can find whatever works best for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.