1Password extension issue

kennyt
kennyt
Community Member

I have a couple of questions regarding 1Password extension as follows

1. Why 1Password extension version from Safari Extensions Gallery is always older than the one from Agilebits website (1Password-4.5.9)
    even though I have selected 'Automatically update extensions'. I'm wondering if Agilebits have not updated it on Safari Extensions Gallery yet?

2. I was attempting to install the latest Safari extension (1Password-4.5.9) from website but Safari did not install it for some reasons even though I clicked on 'Trust' button during installation. Please advise.

Note: I did uninstall the old version 1Password 4.5.8 From Safari Extensions Gallery and removed Extensions folder from ~/Library/Safari before installing the 1Password-4.5.9

MacOS: 10.11.6
Safari: 9.1.3

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kennyt,

Glad you asked about this. :)

Why 1Password extension version from Safari Extensions Gallery is always older than the one from Agilebits website (1Password-4.5.9) even though I have selected 'Automatically update extensions'. I'm wondering if Agilebits have not updated it on Safari Extensions Gallery yet?

We always submit new (stable) extension versions to Apple for inclusion in the Safari Extensions Gallery, and it's up to them to approve those so that tends to take some time. We're waiting for their approval of 4.5.9 (they're still offering 4.5.8), same as the latest stable version from our website.

I was attempting to install the latest Safari extension (1Password-4.5.9) from website but Safari did not install it for some reasons even though I clicked on 'Trust' button during installation. Please advise.

You would first want to uninstall 4.5.8, like you mentioned doing:

Note: I did uninstall the old version 1Password 4.5.8 From Safari Extensions Gallery and removed Extensions folder from ~/Library/Safari before installing the 1Password-4.5.9

Sounds like you did successfully install 4.5.9 from our website but let us know if you still need help with that.

To get newer future updates automatically (from Apple), you can do what's suggested in step 3 under Safari in How to keep the 1Password browser extension up to date:

Make sure you have enabled “Automatically update extensions from the Safari Extensions Gallery”.

That's our recommendation, even when temporarily running a newer version from our website, so you won't have to remember to check whether or not the extension needs to be manually updated. Even if you do end up running an older version from Apple (until they approve and update to the latest) that seems better than being stuck with an even older one from our website that you've forgotten to manually update. :)

I hope that answers your questions. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• kennyt
    kennyt
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply, sjk. Sorry for the confusion about my note; what I meant is I'm still unable to install Safari extension version of 4.5.9 from your website although I did uninstall the old version 1Password 4.5.8 from Safari Extensions Gallery and removed Extensions folder from ~/Library/Safari. Any suggestions?. Thanks.

• Hi @kennyt,

You should be able to double-click the extension and Safari will install it. What is happening when you try that?

Regards,
    Kevin

• kennyt
    kennyt
    Community Member

Hi ag_kevin, here is what happened when double click the extension

After clicking Trust but nothing happened and the extension did not appear in the list as follows

I reboot my Mac, then try again to install the 1Password extension. It doesn't help.

The only thing working is installing it from Safari Extensions Gallery. However, its version (4.5.8) is older than from your website.

The reasons I want to use the latest version are for bug fixed and improvements.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for the screenshots, @kennyt!

We've heard of this happening due to a problem in Safari that can occur when clicking with a mouse (or other input device). In that case, the following steps should help you install the extension from our site:

1. Open System Preferences on your Mac, select Keyboard, then click the Shortcuts tab.
    2. At the bottom of that window, select the All Controls option.
    3. Try again to install the extension from our site, but this time use the tab key on your keyboard to highlight Trust when prompted.
    4. Press the spacebar to select the Trust button once highlighted.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Cheers! :)

• kennyt
    kennyt
    Community Member

You're the best, Drew_AG. Your solution is spot on. Thanks a lot.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm really glad to hear that took care of the problem! Thanks for letting us know it worked for you.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.