HSBC (UK and US) no longer filling in

Options

HSBC has always been a bit tricky, but they have recently updated their login pages and 1Password neither fills nor offers to save ID/passwords any more (for me).

Does anyone else have this issue?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: "personal"

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @JamesHenderson,

Now I'm not a customer of theirs but let's see if I can help at all.

1. I visited https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/ and clicked the Log on button. This sent me to https://www.security.hsbc.co.uk/gsa/SaaS30Resource/
    2. I used the steps outlined on our page Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages to create a Login item that first stored just the username from the first page of their sign in process and then updated it from the second with the answer to the memorable question.
    3. Due to how the second page works and more fields requiring filling I then set this Login item to Never submit (the submit option is visible when you edit the Login item).

When I did this and returned to the first page of their log in I found 1Password filled the username correctly, leaving me to click the Continue button or press the return key as focus was left on the username field. This sent me to the second page where filling filled the memorable question field leaving me to then fill in the other fields as required.

This was tested with the stable version of 1Password so we should be seeing similar results but maybe we prefer different browsers. I'm a Vivaldi person myself but I will happily test in whatever is your preferred browser. I would be interested to learn if manually saving a new Login item using the link above allows you to save a new Login item and if it works any better.

Do you use a secure key to log in? If you don't and if you need to fill in random characters of a second password we can detail the best way in which 1Password can help you fill those fields as it won't be able to do so itself I'm afraid.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables - thnaks for your reply :-)

What you are describing (split across multiple pages) is how I currently have it set and it has always worked with HSBC before they refreshed their website.

I have tried saving a new login anyway, but it will still not auto-fill. When I <>, I can see both my new and old passwords, but nothing happens when I select either one.

I will try re-installing the Safari extension (but I do not have this problem on other sites).

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

...interesting - there was a new version of the 1Password extension (4.5.9) which I have just installed and now the "old" password works fine again on both HSBC (UK) and HSBC (US) websites. Not sure if it was the remove/re-install or the updated version that did the trick.

I wonder why the extension did not update itself or let me know there was an update?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @JamesHenderson,

I think I know what the issue is. There were certain changes made in 4.5.8, one of which had a very unintended side-effect due to a certain weird behaviour in browsers. Suffice to say my language was pretty... robust when we found the bug and how are changes caused it. We got this fixed up in 4.5.9 as you've discovered. It only affected certain sites and the result was filling just didn't happen.

As for why Safari didn't update. As of Safari 9 Apple have changed how the extensions update. It used to be all extensions would update automatically if the user enabled the right option. With the release of Safari 9 though Apple introduced what they call the Safari Extension Gallery. Now only extensions downloaded from their curated gallery will update automatically. We still offer the Safari extension from our site but to update it you need to remember to enter Safari's preferences every so often and check to see if the Extensions tab is reporting there are updates available. Personally I would recommend installing the 1Password Safari Extension from this link, 1Password Safari Extension from Apple's Safari Extension Gallery. Now just a word of warning. If you have the extension already installed you will need to uninstall it and restart Safari otherwise caching issues will result in a very generic "there was a problem" message from Safari. The error message is because Safari won't allow you to install a second copy of the extension. Once you have the Safari Extension Gallery version installed it will update automatically as and when Apple approve the new versions that we submit to them for approval.

Nice detective work there by the way :smile:

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables - thanks for the explanation. :chuffed:

However I was using the Safari extension gallery - but it is still at 4.5.8!! ...at least I now know why it did not update automatically.

When will 4.5.9 be available there?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @JamesHenderson,

I actually thought Apple had approved 4.5.9 recently so I was disappointed when I checked just now and discovered it is still at 4.5.8. Unfortunately we just have to be patient and wait for them :( I wish I could offer an ETA but it would be sheer speculation on my part. I would hope it won't be long now, we did submit it on the 19th of August after all.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

That is a long time to approve.

...but thanks! :chuffed:

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Oh yes, I like to practice meditation while we wait :tongue: Being slightly more serious for a moment I'm hopeful it won't be too much longer but that isn't based on a nugget of information that I'm privy to.

This discussion has been closed.