Changed passwords not being filled correctly

Options
kda
kda
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

In August, I started changing passwords for logins that 1Password says are weak. I just tried to log into a gmail account whose password I changed on Aug 5, and can't log in because the password is incorrect. I hit reveal, and this is definitely not the password I created. I have been using long phrases, and the password saved is just a mishmash of random letters, numbers, and symbols.

I checked my other gmail account passwords that I had updated, and it's the same situation. Nothing has been saved correctly - all junk.

1Password Version: 6.3.2 Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:passwords not saving correctly

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kda,

I'm sorry to hear your new Gmail passwords don't seem to have been saved in 1Password! We'll do our best to help you figure this out.

In August, I started changing passwords for logins that 1Password says are weak.
    [...]
    I have been using long phrases...

Have you been using the "Words" option in the strong password generator in 1Password mini to do that? Or do you mean you've been coming up with your own pass phrases? The reason I ask is because if you've been using the password generator in 1Password mini, there should definitely be a record of those generated passwords somewhere in your vault.

...the password saved is just a mishmash of random letters, numbers, and symbols.

Is that the previous password from before you changed it to the newer phrase in August?

I just tried to log into a gmail account whose password I changed on Aug 5, and can't log in because the password is incorrect.

Can you please confirm if you changed your Gmail password(s) by following the steps here: Change your passwords and make them stronger

If you didn't follow the steps there, can you please describe the steps you took to change your password(s)?

I checked my other gmail account passwords that I had updated, and it's the same situation.

When changing a password for a website account, you need to make sure to update it on that website as well as in the corresponding Login item in 1Password. Normally that's easy to do because when you submit a "change password" form on a website, 1Password should notice that and prompt you to update a Login item (as described in the above knowledgebase article). Do you remember if you saw a prompt like that from 1Password when you changed your passwords on the Gmail site?

I hit reveal, and this is definitely not the password I created.

If the main password field in a Login item has been changed, you should see a show previously used passwords button in the item details (right under the show web form details button). Do you see that in any of your Gmail Login items? If so, click that button and check the dates & passwords shown there. Do you see the pass phrase you chose in August? What's the most recent date shown in the list of previously used passwords?

Thanks in advance!

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options

You know, I may have told you something completely wrong. Bear with me for a minute.

Today I went to log into a new website for which I had recently created a login (and saved in 1Password) and my login was rejected as 'password incorrect'. I then went and manually copied and pasted the password, and that was accepted and I was able to log in.

Because I was experiencing this same error message when logging into my gmail accounts (I have a bunch) I assumed the problem was that 1Password had saved my passwords incorrectly. I never tried copying and pasting the password.

It's been over a month since I started changing weak and old passwords, and I am now using longer pass phrases when websites allow it. But it's possible that when I started this project I was using the 1Password generator. It's hard to believe I can't remember what I was doing a month ago, but it may be.

I just tried logging into another gmail account and this time I copied and pasted the password and it worked just fine.

Maybe the issue I'm experiencing is that something is going wrong with auto-fill (or whatever you call it). I have experienced this problem intermittently, and now it appears to be worse.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kda

This sounds like a very weird and interesting problem you've bumped into. First, if you have several Gmail accounts, is it possible that your browser was still connected to Account A while you tried to use the password for Account B? Gmail tends to ask you to login in 2 steps, so that has for sure happened to me before!

Could you please tell us which is the other site you found trouble with? Can you please try saving the login manually on the sites that yore having trouble with and see if that helps you?

I hope to hear back from you with this new details so we can get to the bottom of this! :chuffed:

• kda
    kda
    Community Member
    Options

Re the Gmail accounts: I recently cleared my History, Cache, Cookies. So I tried to log into my first gmail account, specifying my main account and got this error message. So I created a new password, since I was thinking what I saw saved in 1Password looked incorrect.

Then I went to "add" another gmail account - you click on your image in the upper right from within a gmail account you are already logged into and it's a two-step process: add the email address, then on the next screen the password for that email address.

It's always a two-step process when you are logged in to one gmail account and want to connect your other gmail accounts. That is not the source of the problem. I've done it many times before - if you don't log into one of your gmail accounts for a while you have to add it again.

This may only work if you are signed up for Google+. You can "link" all your gmail addresses.

The other site it happened with was www.fashion-incubator.com

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the additional information, @kda! I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your message to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum.

Just to be sure I understand: At first you thought the wrong passwords were saved in your Login items, but now it seems that the passwords are correct but 1Password might be filling them incorrectly?

If it works when you copy & paste your login credentials, but not when you have the extension fill them for you, please follow these steps to save a new Login item for one of the websites in question. Then go back to / refresh the sign-in page and choose the new Login item from the 1Password extension. Does the new Login item work correctly? Please also try this with one of the non-Google sites where you're running into this problem. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.