DropBox...

Starflyer
Starflyer
Community Member

A couple of weeks ago I had a real problem assessing my 1Password on a device that I forgot the password and the help prompt didn't help me in figuring it out. That problem was solved, but in doing so, I now have a 1Password backup in my "dropbox". I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this situation. I believe DropBox is a totally separate company from 1Password. Is that correct? And are all my log-in/password data "stored" on Dropbox? Does 1Password automatically sync with DropBox if I make a change to my passwords?

Before the DropBox backup, I was just syncing my 1Passwords with my iPhone/iPad/Macbook Air with the "WLANserver" option which worked fine for me for the time I was using 1Password. I'm slightly thinking of deleting the DropBox option as it would seem the only time I might need it is if someone stole all 3 of my devices or the house burned down.

I assume if I were to delete 1Password from DropBox, I would still have the WLANserver option. Is that correct?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Starflyer

Thank you for getting back in touch with us. I'm going to move your post to our Mac category, as this one is more about our new Accounts with our hosted service, I hope you don't mind :chuffed:

I've looked at the thread from your previous issue, and it doesn't look like you created a Dropbox vault at any point, you seem to always have been syncing via WLAN server. However you can see if there's anything from 1Password on your Dropbox account and delete if you want. If you want to be sure it's all gone let us know and we'll help you sort it out!

I believe DropBox is a totally separate company from 1Password. Is that correct?

Yes, Dropbox and 1Password are completely different and separate things, we do collaborate to help bring syncing options to everyone :chuffed:

I assume if I were to delete 1Password from DropBox, I would still have the WLANserver option. Is that correct?

Yes, the data stored in Dropbox is only a copy from the data in your computer so you can just go ahead and delete anything in Dropbox.

Just as an extra comment, I want to remind you that your data is always encrypted. It never gets to Dropbox unencrypted so as long as you have a good Master Password, it's perfectly safe over there.

If you have any other questions or if there's anything else that you'd like to know about 1Password, we're here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.