I forgot the master password on my second vault

davenaz
davenaz
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Mac

Hi,

A while ago, I setup two vaults. A Primary and a Secondary. Each has a separate password.

The problem is that I've never really needed to enter the password for the Secondary Vault because I can get into it by entering the password for the Primary and then hitting Command+2 or just switching to it once I am in the Primary. So I CAN get into the Second vault, but can I reset the password if I don't know it?

dave

1Password Version: 6.2.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davenaz,

Thanks for writing in with your question! I'm sorry to hear you forgot the master password for your secondary vault.

You won't be able to change the master password for your secondary vault without entering the current one. But as a workaround, you can create a new secondary vault (with a new master password), move all the items from the old secondary vault to the new one, and then delete the old one. If you'd like to do that, you can use these steps:

• Open 1Password and make a fresh backup of your data by going to File > Backup.
    • Close the Preferences window and make sure you're viewing All Vaults or Primary.
    • Go to 1Password > New Vault in the menu, then set up the new vault.
    • After creating the new secondary vault, switch to the old secondary vault.
    • Select All Items in the left sidebar, then right-click on one of the items and choose Select All.
    • Go to Item > Share > [new secondary vault name] > Move.
    • After moving the items to the new vault, make sure you're still viewing the old vault, then go to 1Password > Delete [old vault name] Vault.

If you had been syncing the old secondary vault, you'll need to set up the sync settings for the new vault. Otherwise, that should be all you need to do.

I hope that helps, but if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• davenaz
    davenaz
    Community Member

Thank you, Drew. That worked.

I feel more comfortable knowing I have the password - fearing I might get into a situation where the Password for the Primary might not get me into the secondary. When could that happen? If I reinstalled my OS? Would I then have to know all the passwords to all the vaults?

• Hi @davenaz ,

The primary vault contains the keys to unlock the secondary vault, so the only way it would happen is if you reinstalled, and relied on the keychain files synced to Dropbox to set up 1Password again.

But if you reinstall your OS, if you restore from the 1Password backup file, it would be ok.

What you could do is create a Password item in your Primary vault and name it "Secondary vault password" and store it there. That way if you ever have to reinstall, and you can't restore from a 1Password backup for some reason, the password to that secondary vault will be available as long as you remember your Master Password.

Regards,
    Kevin

• davenaz
    davenaz
    Community Member

Thanks Kevin, that answers my question.

Right now I don't keep my secondary vault password in my primary, because others have access to the primary (on their computer) who probably should not have access to the secondary vault. Their computers have never been authorized for the secondary which keeps them out.

I think I have it now. Thanks for your help.

• That's a good reason not to put it there. If you don't want to store it in the Primary vault, you could also, I know this sounds odd, write it down and keep it in a secure location like a safe or safe deposit box.

Glad we could help. Let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.