Still cannot remove primary vault even after following tips

chrislong
chrislong
Community Member

I have an iMac with the vault I wish to use. This is synced via iCloud and the entries are syncing correctly with my iPhone. I have a MacBook Air which has old data that I want to delete and then sync with iCloud. If I sync now, it says it is 'merging' data and corrupts the entries on the other two devices.
I have tried several tips I have found, none of which worked:
1) In the menu bar Help>Troubleshooting>Start Over is greyed out.
2) removing Library/Containers and all Agilebits folders
3) The menu option 1Password 6/Delete Vault is grayed out
4) One of the support answers talked of unticking Allow creation of vaults outside outside 1Password accounts in Preferences>Advanced. But that is greyed out too.

Can anyone help with how I copy the data on iCloud and my other devices onto my MacBook Air?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• @chrislong,

Thanks for writing in with your question, I'll do my best to answer it.

1 only works if you have 1Password locked when you access the menu, its primarily meant to be used when someone has forgotten their master password and needs to start over. We didn't want people accidentally triggering it while still having access to their data.

2 can vary based on whether you're using the AgileStore version or the App Store, there are actually quite a lot of directories and its possible you missed some.

3 and 4 are only possible if you're also logged into a 1Password.com account in the app and only if the primary vault is the last non-account vault on your computer. So neither of these would be good options if you're using iCloud for Sync.

I would lock 1Password and then do #1, it gives you a mostly reset environment. It does not destroy any backups that 1Password has made, and actually makes one just before resetting the database as a precaution in the event you later realize that you're missing something from your new state.

After doing the start over you will be greeted with the first run window, where you can choose the "data is elsewhere" option and pick iCloud to pull down what's currently on iCloud.

Let us know how it goes or if you have any trouble getting either the start over or the setup of iCloud sync working.

Rudy

• chrislong
    chrislong
    Community Member

@rudy
    Thank you very much for your help. Approach 1 worked as you suggested. The only slight surprise was that I received the message 'We found 1Password data on iCloud created by 1Password 4. Do you want to use this legacy data'. I did and now all my devices are in sync - but I have been using 1Password 6 for some time now, so why the message?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chrislong,

I'm glad to hear Rudy's suggestion was helpful and that everything is working correctly now!

The only slight surprise was that I received the message 'We found 1Password data on iCloud created by 1Password 4. Do you want to use this legacy data'. I did and now all my devices are in sync - but I have been using 1Password 6 for some time now, so why the message?

1Password 4 used the older iCloud Document syncing feature. Starting in 1Password 5 for Mac and iOS, we switched to Apple's newer CloudKit technology, which Apple introduced in iOS 8 and Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). When you upgraded from 1Password 4 to 1Password 5/6, your sync data would have been copied to CloudKit, but the older data would still exist in the "Documents and Data" part of iCloud. 1Password found the old data there when you went through the first run / setup process, so that's why it asked you about that. Sorry for any confusion!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.