Problem with my account.

willie
willie
Community Member

I am using 1Password 4 on my mac mini. I just discovered I am using 1Password without having an email address associated with my “account”. I want to upgrade to 1Password 6 with a family license and add another Mac Mini, but I would like to have it linked to my email address, and retain all my saved passwords. What should I do? Or what can I do?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!
Wilma Neverovich

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @willie,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! I can definitely help to clear up the confusion here.

I am using 1Password 4 on my mac mini. I just discovered I am using 1Password without having an email address associated with my “account”.

There are currently a couple different ways to purchase/use 1Password - licenses or accounts. It sounds like you might be confused about the difference, or you're asking about how to sign up for an account.

For the past 10 years, we've been selling 1Password software licenses, and it sounds like you purchased a license for 1Password 4 for Mac at some point. That allows you to use 1Password on all of your Macs. With a license, your data is never sent to us - it exists only on the device(s) where you use it, and you can also choose to sync your data using a third party sync service such as Dropbox or iCloud.

Earlier this year, we introduced 1Password accounts. A 1Password account is a subscription service, and it's very different from a license. You can read about the differences between a license and an account here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

In other words, you don't actually have an account with us unless you've signed up for one on 1Password.com. You can continue using the license you purchased if you'd like, or you can choose to sign up for an account. We're happy to help you either way! :)

I want to upgrade to 1Password 6 with a family license and add another Mac Mini...

If you already have a license for 1Password 4 for Mac, the upgrade to 1Password 6 is absolutely free! (The same license works for versions 4, 5, and 6 for Mac.) Regardless of whether you decide to sign up for a 1Password account, you should go ahead and install version 6 now. Just open the main 1Password app on your Mac and go to 1Password 4 > Check for Updates in the menubar, then follow the steps to install it.

Your license for 1Password 4/5/6 for Mac allows you to use it on all of your Macs (and if you bought a Family License, that allows up to 5 other family members to use it on all of their Macs as well). To install 1Password on another Mac, simply download the app from our download site. Unzip the downloaded file if necessary, then move 1Password 6.app to the Applications folder. You can activate the app with your license by following the steps here: Add your license

With a 1Password license, you can sync your existing data between your Macs by using Dropbox or iCloud:

...but I would like to have it linked to my email address, and retain all my saved passwords.

As I mentioned above, you can use Dropbox or iCloud to sync your 1Password data between your Macs. But you might be interested in signing up for a 1Password account because that makes syncing your data even easier! With an account, you don't need to worry about any sync settings - you just sign into your account from the 1Password app, and it will automatically sync your account data for you.

We offer individual 1Password accounts, but if your family also uses 1Password, you might want to try a 1Password Families account. We have information about both account types here: Find the 1Password that's right for you

Hopefully this helps to answer your questions, but please let us know if you have more. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.