Problem with diverging vaults

chad3814
chad3814
Community Member

I love 1Password I've been using it for a few years now on an iPhone and two macbooks, syncing with dropbox. Last month one of the macbooks was stolen. The first thing I did on my replacement macbook was setup dropbox and install 1password, however, I've done something wrong. The 1Password on my phone and on my one macbook are in sync, but the new macbook appears to not be syncing with dropbox and haven't gotten any new or changed passwords in the last month add on those device. But what's worse is I've add logins and passwords on that macbook that now aren't on the other devices. How do I merge them back together, sync the new macbook with dropbox and not have duplicates?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.2 (632001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• chad3814
    chad3814
    Community Member

if it matters, my iOS version is 6.4.4 (644000) and I purchased the pro features

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@chad3814 does this knowledge base article help at all?

If you're having trouble syncing with Dropbox

Stephen

• chad3814
    chad3814
    Community Member

@Stephen_C I think I can sync it to the dropbox vault, but I don't want to lose the passwords I've added in this vault.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chad3814,

If I understand, your iPhone and older MacBook are syncing correctly with each other via Dropbox, but your new MacBook is not syncing with either of them. Is that correct?

If so, that likely means there's a problem with the sync settings in 1Password on your new MacBook - it's either not syncing with Dropbox at all, or it's pointing to a different sync file than your iPhone & older MacBook.

On your new MacBook, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync. Make sure Dropbox is selected as the sync option. If it shows a different sync option or says None, set up sync with Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox (Mac)

On the other hand, if Dropbox is already enabled in the sync preferences on the new MacBook, check the file name and file path for the sync file shown there. That needs to be the same sync file in the same location as the one shown in the sync settings on your iPhone and your older MacBook. If it isn't, you'll need to disable the sync and set it up again, making sure to choose the correct sync file.

When you set up Dropbox sync and/or choose the correct sync file, you'll see a button for "Merge with Existing". That just means it will compare the 1Password data on your new MacBook with the 1Password data in Dropbox, and update both accordingly. In other words, changes you've made on the new MacBook will sync to Dropbox (and to your other devices), and changes you've made in Dropbox (via other devices) will sync to the new MacBook. It essentially does what you normally expect it to do during a sync. Nothing will be deleted unless you specifically delete it yourself.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• chad3814
    chad3814
    Community Member

@Drew_AG yeah it it was not setup to sync anywhere. I was just worried about the merge, looks like it worked great. Thanks!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chad3814

On behalf of Drew, you're welcome! It sounds like now you're all set up, but if you need help with anything else, we're always here for sure :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.