My account stopped syncing across my Apple devices 6 weeks ago

TinKam1000
TinKam1000
Community Member

I have a desktop Mac (which I purchased 1PW last year on), a newer laptop, and an iPhone which all used to sync with 1PW until about 6 weeks ago. Not sure why they've suddenly stopped and can't figure it out. I did remove Dropbox from my laptop and desktop recently, but access it still via internet. Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.2 (632001) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5 Mac, 10.11.6 laptop,
Sync Type: now says "none"?!
Referrer: forum-search:sync

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TinKam1000,

I'm sorry you're having trouble syncing your 1Password data!

I did remove Dropbox from my laptop and desktop recently

If you had been using Dropbox to sync 1Password, this definitely explains why it's no longer working, and why the sync preferences now show "None" on your Macs. 1Password for Mac doesn't sync directly with the Dropbox servers - instead, it syncs with a file in the local Dropbox folder on your Mac, and then the Dropbox app syncs changes between that folder and your Dropbox.com account (and then to your other devices). Without the Dropbox app, that won't work.

If you'd like to continue using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data, you'll need to reinstall the Dropbox app on each Mac. Alternately, there are a couple other sync options that you could try. We have more information about the different sync options here: Sync your 1Password data

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• TinKam1000
    TinKam1000
    Community Member

Totally helpful, but having trouble signing in to 1Password? If I understand correctly, I don't have an Account Key as I purchased 1Password from your Agile Bits store originally. Can I sync across my devices through a 1Password account if I don't have a Key (right now, it won't let me register/login as I don't have an Account Key) or do I have to use iTunes if I don't want to reinstall Dropbox on my computers? Thanks for your advice.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TinKam1000

I'm sorry if there's been some confusion with 1Password and the different ways in which it can be synced. You have 2 options. You can either get a 1Password Account and migrate your data there. Just click on the first link and then on the banner to get the first 6 months for free!

The second option, if you don't want to get a 1Password Account, is to sync via iCloud, you're right! You can find the instruction to do this on the link Drew posted above :chuffed:

Please let us know which of these options you like better and if you need any help setting it up!

This discussion has been closed.