Is it possible to import an iOS vault (i.e. a .1pt4_zip file) into 1Password for Mac?

adintegra
adintegra
Community Member

Hi,

I use both the iOS version of 1Password (v6.4.4) and the latest Mac version of 1Password. Unfortunately, the vault on my iPhone was originally created and synced to a vault on another computer (which I no longer have access to). I have another vault on my current Mac (which I created from scratch). I would like to consolidate the two vaults in order to get everything back in sync (I don't mind going through any double-entries manually and deleting them out). The only way I can think of doing this is by importing the iOS backup (a .1pt4_zip file) into 1Password for Mac somehow - either into the current primary vault or into a separate new vault. I would really prefer not to use any cloud-based services for this. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Mark

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X El Capitan
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:.1pt4_zip

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @adintegra,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I can definitely help you merge the vault on your iPhone with the vault on your Mac.

It sounds like you already created a backup of 1Password on your iPhone and saved that .1p4_zip file to your Mac. But if I misunderstood, you can create a backup and copy it to your Mac by following the steps here: 1Password backups (iOS)

You can put the backup on the Desktop of your Mac so it's easy to find. Then you can follow these steps:

1. On your Mac, open the main 1Password app and go to File > Backup (that will open the Backup preferences and make a fresh backup of the 1Password data on your Mac).
    2. In the Preferences window, select the Sync tab and change the sync setting from None to Folder
    3. Click the Choose button, then select the Desktop (and click Open).
    4. Click Create New (this will create a new .opvault file which contains a copy of the current data on your Mac).
    5. In the Preferences window, select the Backup tab and click the Find Backup button.
    6. Choose the .1p4_zip backup file you copied from your iPhone and click the Add Backup button.
    7. Select that backup in the preferences (it might not be the most recent one shown there) and then click Restore.
    8. Follow any additional steps to restore your data.

At this point, the data in 1Password on your Mac should be the same as on your iPhone. If so, continue with these steps to merge the two different vaults together on your Mac:

1. On your Mac, open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    2. Change the sync setting from None to Folder.
    3. Click the Choose button, then select the .opvault file you previously created on the Desktop (and click Open).
    4. Click Merge with Existing (enter your master password if prompted).

Now 1Password on your Mac should have all your data merged together in the same vault. Assuming it all goes well, the final step is to set up WLAN Server to sync your Mac and iPhone: How to use the WLAN server

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Cheers! :)

• adintegra
    adintegra
    Community Member

Brilliant Drew - worked like a charm! Thank you!

Mark

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! Thanks for following up to let us know it all worked out as expected. You should be all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.