Creating a new additional vault

Buch3100
Buch3100
Community Member

Hello,

1. If I create a secondary vault, say for work passwords, it says it will have a new password separate from my main password and I will continue to use my main password to open the program. Does this mean that his new vault is double encrypted or encrypted twice via a second password? I am no encryption expert, but I thought the encryption key is based upon the password, so I should use a large one for increased security. That said, my main PW is over 30 characters. Can I make my second vault password something quick and easy like a four digit passcode? Would this second vault and password be properly protected by the large main password encryption? Please advise on this practice.

2. Do you have a better way to output (preferably printing a paper copy) all of my logins and passwords? Currently the software wants to print over 25 pages, bc it is printing all the web form data etcher each login. I only want to print off the login name, username, and password. Please advise if there is a different way to do this or if you are working on a more printer friendly export system for a future update.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Buch3100 ,

Thanks for writing in with two excellent questions. I believe I have answers for you:

1. When a vault is created, it is encrypted with a generated key. That key is then encrypted with the password assigned to the vault. So, in the case of your primary vault, the key is encrypted with your master password. When you make a secondary vault, the key used to encrypt the vault is encrypted with the password you make for that second vault. But a copy of the key is also encrypted with your master password outside of the second vault. This allows your master password to decrypt both vaults.

So, to answer your question, the vault is only encrypted once, just that the key encrypted in two different places - once with the secondary vault password and stored as part of the vault, and once with the master password and stored separately from the secondary vault. And yes, you should make it a strong password for your secondary vault too - especially if you'll be syncing it. And if you decide to share or sync that vault to another machine, you'll need to know the password to that second vault.

From time to time, we do see customers forgetting the password for their secondary vaults, because once they set up sync to all their devices, they don't have to enter it again until they set up a new machine, and by then they've forgotten since they haven't typed it in a long time. To make sure you don't forget, I recommend doing 1 or 2 things: making a password entry in the primary vault and enter the secondary vault password there; or writing down the password to the secondary vault and placing it in a secure location such as a safe or safe deposit box.

1. Printing is one of the things that we'd like to improve. In the meantime, I recommend exporting the items to a csv or txt file, printing that, and then deleting the text file. You can do this by choosing Export > All Items… from the File menu, and then setting the format to csv or txt. Then you can open the file in TextEdit or another application and printing there.

I hope that answers your questions. Feel free to respond if you need more information.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.